HI, i heard somewhere, correct me if im wrong, that when you make a sb box with MDF, that by applying some minwax or some kinda sealer or something i dont know exactly, that it may help. it read that since the MDF is porous it smoothes and fills the pores. not sure if this is true or not. anyway, if you laugh, i didnt make this up, its hearsay! haha

well maybe i read wrong. well, does the inside need to have anything to be applied to it ? i mean would any application help or not??

well maybe i read wrong. well, does the inside need to have anything to be applied to it ? i mean would any application help or not??

help what? what are you trying to accomplish? wax will do you no good in a sealed.... polyfill wont necesarily help you in a bandpass...

Explain what it is that you're doing.

sorry, well its a sealed box application. just wondering if i have to apply anything to the inside walls ?? i heard somewhere that you can help the sound out by applying something. but like i said, its reading hearsay!

Ahhh okay. You're prolly looking for Polyfill. It can help bring down the Q of a small sealed enclosure.

well.... if you really want to you could was the inner walls of a sealed box. I mean, all the cool kids are doing it.

I think what they're trying to say is don't bother doing anything to the inside surfaces of an MDF sealed enclosure. Screw it, glue it, and run away. If she's pissed about the extra glue give her some soap.

I too have read somewhere that people use one of the products used in fiberglassing to coat all the walls. It was mainly just to ensure a perfect seal and no air getting through. But I just use good sealant/caulk to do the job. Seems to work just fine.

Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It!

The February 2005 issue of CarAudio and Electronics addressed this issue when relating it to SPL. Spraying on something on the inside will not help SPL at an audible level, but in some cases might raise SPL a couple of tenths of a dB. But in your case, as long as you do a good job making the box, there should be no need to spray on anything, especially with MDF.

The February 2005 issue of CarAudio and Electronics addressed this issue when relating it to SPL. Spraying on something on the inside will not help SPL at an audible level, but in some cases might raise SPL a couple of tenths of a dB. But in your case, as long as you do a good job making the box, there should be no need to spray on anything, especially with a sealed MDF box.

:D

sealed or ported, applying resin to the walls has helped some people raise their SPL score tenths of a point. it makes the walls more ridgid and reflective

Show me one person that resined the inside of a sealed box and gained on the TL.

Please.

Seriously.

Show me one person that resined the inside of a sealed box and gained on the TL.

Please.

Seriously.

this is true...if the wall is big enough to flex then some resin might help alittle.....

mdf isnt porous.

It isn't, then why does it suck up paint and anything else you put on it?

It is porous.

And there really isn't a need to seal the inside of a box with polyurethane or paint or whatever else, but it can't hurt. Sealing it inside or out would help if you spill water on it or other liquids that would absorb into the mdf.

this is true...if the wall is big enough to flex then some resin might help alittle.....

Why not just brace it then?

I resined the inside and out of a sealed enclosure and polyfilled it, didn't notice much..... i thought my box was gonna fly apart with my juggy in it

lots of people have

oh, and here

evidence.....do you think i just made that up?

Okay, I read those two pages for you. All of those installs were regarding ported.

You're stating that resin in a sealed box will bring up a TL score. I want to see where this has happened.

Please.

Seriously.

For reference's sake....