Yet another rear fill question HELP requested

NamesJay
10+ year member

OK, I was planning on having two sets of Alpine SPR-176A's installed in my car to go with an Alpine MRV-F340 amp to power both sets.

After reading some posts, I'm confused about whether this is a good plan.

Will the quality of sound go down if I use this setup? Will having rear components actually diminish the music that I hear?

Any help clarifying this situation would be helpful.

P.S. I don't know if it helps, but I have a 2000 Celica hatchback.

So if I left the factory speakers for the rears, would I power just the two front speakers with the amp?

If I don't have decent quality rear speakers, aren't I running the risk of blowing the factory rear speakers?

having 2 sets of speakers will not diminish the music you hear. there are basically two kind of people. ones that like to have proper imaging (audiophiles who want to accurately recreate music the way it was meant to be heard ie: in front of you) and others that just want rear fill because of the feeling of ambience (surrounding noise). your not diminishing your music like i said, but you arent imaging it properly from the audiophiles point of view. buy a set of speakers for the front, turn the rears off, then if you dont like it, put a set in the back. just cause it helps with "proper" imaging doesnt mean that it has to sound good to you, just cause its proper, doesnt make it right for everyones taste. what sounds good to you is what you like. if you like rear fill then by all means go for it. cause in the end, if you dont like the way your music sounds, what was the point of getting a system in the first place?

IMO rear fills are a waste because with a proper front stage, rear fill should be completely unnecessary and shouldn't "add" anything to the music. IMO the people who run rear fill because it "adds" something to the music (midbass is a common excuse) don't have a properly setup or powered front stage. In most cases it isn't a preference thing, but rather a setup issue. If you have a system that images and stages properly (or even close), you'll have all the ambience you need.

But hey, that's just my opinion on the subject.

imaging is where the sound appears to be coming from. with a good set up the sound doesent seem to come from the speakers, it should appear to be concentrated at about eye level, dead in front of you. if you sit in your car(or HT room) and close your eyes, then you can get the sound image that is being projected.

So alternatively, I can install all 4 speakers, but if I want to see what "front fill only" sounds like I can just set the balance all the way to the front speakers?

Hypothetically, this would ensure the imaging was "correct"?

So alternatively, I can install all 4 speakers, but if I want to see what "front fill only" sounds like I can just set the balance all the way to the front speakers?
Hypothetically, this would ensure the imaging was "correct"?
Absolutely not. Fading all the way to the front will only make the sound come from the front speakers, yes. But that in no way ensures that the imaging is correct. Making your stereo image properly is highly involved and requires careful speaker placement and aiming, proper phasing, etc etc. It's not a simple as just fading to the front //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you have friends or family that ride in your car, wouldnt their "Car audio Experience" be different sitting in the back?
not nearly as much as you think oftem times its better. it doesnt sound like 5 different things going on at once its just all working together

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.