Sign in to follow this  
Boosted92HB

somethings fishy...

I just plugged in some #s on a port calculator and...

box is 8 ft.^3

2 RE SE 15's

ported to 35Hz...

4x16.75 port

Now here comes the weird thing...

It tells me that I only need ~12" of port length. Is this correct? seems like everyone here is running some 20+ inch long ports while still being tuned in the mid 30's. Is this setup more along the lines of SPL than SQ? Im going for about a 50/50 mix of the two...

...My Ride...

Phantom grey pearl 1992 Honda Civic DX hatch: Stock internal D15B7, "whale penis" intake w/ K&N filter, Megan stainless header, Invidia TP, Skunk2 cat-back, carbon hood, Spoon carbon spoiler, carbon hatch, D2 coil-overs, Skunk2 camber kits, Password:JDM 3-point front upper strut bar, Vision smoked amber corners, Silverstars.

...The Budget/Lightweight System...

H/U: Pioneer DEH-4700MP

Front Stage: CDT CL-61 6.5" in doors (mild dampening)

Front Stage Amp: Profile HA600(100wrms x2 @4)

Subs: 2x 8" Sony XplOd P5s in .45ft^3 sealed

Sub Amp: Profile HA700M(350wrms x1 @2)

Big 3 in 4 ga.

Your calcs are correct. You only need a 12" long port because your box volume is so high. As box volume increases, port length decreases, and as port cross sectional area decreases, port length decreases. However, as you decrease your port cross sectional area, you run the risk of port noise.

may i ask what calculator you used?

The port calculator I used was one I put together in Excel. It will solve for tuning frequency, net box volume, or port length.

Hey Simos, you think you could PLEASE tell us how to input the port calc formula into Excel? I'd be very greatful! :) Thanks a bunch!

I attached the excel file I put together as a zip file. Not sure if it will work to attach it as a zip file or not. It should be fairly self explanatory as to what you need to do. The cells that are highlighted red contain formulas, so dont type any values in. The cells highlighted green require a value.

port calc.zip

I attached the excel file I put together as a zip file. Not sure if it will work to attach it as a zip file or not. It should be fairly self explanatory as to what you need to do. The cells that are highlighted red contain formulas, so dont type any values in. The cells highlighted green require a value.

It is not 100% accurate but fairly close. I recommend doing it by hand or on the computers sientific calculator.

Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!

Irony?

Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. ;) Irony indeed.

:wow:

Seems to be accurate to me, unless you feel its important to have better than 1/100th accuracy.

Thanks Simos for the formula! :toast:

No problem man, glad I could help.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this