New to forum, subwoofer location question!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jason125

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, nice to be here. I have a question regarding the best location to put subwoofers in a 2003 f150 supercrew. I have researched a bit and know I can get 1 or 2 8 inch subs under the back seat down firing, or 1 10 Inch down fire under the seat. I could also get 2 8s or 2 10s behind the back seat removing the storage compartment. My question is should I go under the seat or behind the seat? Dont know if it matters or not, but I listen to everything from classical music, to 80s Country, to hip hop, to death metal. I'm planning a lower power/budget oriented system, using  Polk DB 579s in the doors, and running one or two150-250 rms subs on a 5 chanel amp. Thanks a bunch.

Hey buddy!

Thanks for raising your question.  :veryhapp:

When it comes to subwoofer box and placing, only you can decide how big or small you wanna go, from boxed or under seat subwoofer to a 'walled' dual pair of 15's, as it comes down to what you are trying to achieve as we cannot dictate that for you here.

From your posts, it seems you are just after a little 'bump' in your system so you are focusing on utilizing the available space available in your vehicle, so it seems all you have left to do is visit a reputable car audio shop,  advise the sales person that you have say, 300watts - 500watts to accommodate for a dedicated subwoofer(s) in your ride.

Again, if you are after SQ focused system where you want the subwoofer to blend in well with your front speakers or you would like the extra boom in such case a pair of 8's would be better option as you get 3db more bass for every additional subwoofer or double amplifier power. :graduate:

Then you would have to option of purchasing a prefab box that snugly fits in the required space, something some brands such as JL Audio may make to fit your ride. 

Lastly, it comes down to your current budgeting so we cannot advise you here.  Its what you ultimately trying to achieve, is the main point here.  Money always comes last as you have a choice of either brand new gear or even some local second hand gear you may troll the net to find some! :laugh:

Personally, If I had your ride, I would 'WALL' behind the front seats, just to stir other people and annoy them by penetrating bass at the lights, only joking mate!  :fro:    Its what you want from your bass needs and the music you listen to so you get to enjoy the most out of your system. 

The sales person would love to steer you to buy a pair of 15's so make sure what you want before you can pushed to buy something you did not want before you stepped inside the car audio shop.

Good luck with your quest and let us know how you went  and maybe a pic would be nice as well.  Cheers! :suave:

do yourself a favor and do  some 8s to 6.5s ported instead with them front firing.  Sealed Downfire or upfire is like screaming into a pillow most of the times you'll end up back here asking why is there literally no bass? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.