Identifying old mtx sub

Zachary Rafferty

CarAudio.com Newbie
I picked up this 15in mtx sub without model

Does have 15rd954 listed on magnet but nothing shows online that matches this sub

Cone is paper

Help looking for specs as building proper box too would be helpful thanks in advance 

20190609_205430.jpg

20190609_205436.jpg

20190609_205448.jpg

That looks like one of their old school home/PA audio line of subs. I couldn't find any model or spec info, though. This was the closest I found on an image search.

gtna7pti8bxvk0zjvaz1.jpg

I paid 30 .it sounds good on 300 watt amp.

I'm not using these as a main but just something to hit lower notes that my 4x10in subs cant

Mate, if you are daring, just get a screw driver and open one up to see the driver. MTX made good gear back in the day, (showing my age here!)  :laugh:

But jokes aside, do open one just to take a look.  I remember, Cerwin Vega 'red surround' series  the XL series were used in PA systems as well and they were made to be used in vehicles as well!

MTX has always been a great brand, but I am not sure if the old guy still owns the company, (forgot his name now) but back in the day, MTX rivaled Rockford Fosgate with a variety of gear from entry level, to flagship ground pounding subwoofers., in the late 90's

20150909_173656.jpg

20151102_220622.jpg

1542270621828.jpg

I picked up this 15in mtx sub without model

Does have 15rd954 listed on magnet but nothing shows online that matches this sub

Cone is paper

Help looking for specs as building proper box too would be helpful thanks in advance 

View attachment 5667

View attachment 5668

View attachment 5669
The code gives it away mate.  The 15rd954.  Its a Road Thunder 15 inch series, made in 1995 and its 4 ohms.  If you plan to use it then give it a clean and seal the hole in the surround using salistic / guey silicone based black tar looking glue. Just apply a dab from the back of the woofer cone so you cannot see it from the front.  You may have to seal the tear with some glue first before you apply the black glue.  Also the dust cap seems to be giving away so seal that with super glue as well!  Now as long as the voice coil is all good, it should give you years of enjoyment in your car, home or man cave! :fro:

MTX has always been a great brand, but I am not sure if the old guy still owns the company, (forgot his name now) but back in the day, MTX rivaled Rockford Fosgate with a variety of gear from entry level, to flagship ground pounding subwoofers., in the late 90's
Loyd Ivey is still around as CEO of Mitek, which owns the MTX brand now, but I also just found a bio from him at CTA, being involved with a political action committee. I thought he had passed away, but seems I was mistaken. Lol.

Loyd Ivey is still around as CEO of Mitek, which owns the MTX brand now, but I also just found a bio from him at CTA, being involved with a political action committee. I thought he had passed away, but seems I was mistaken. Lol.
Nice to know a legend is still amongst us! :graduate:

That MTX Jack Hammer subwoofer is still a legendary product even at todays standards! 

Nice to know a legend is still amongst us! :graduate:

That MTX Jack Hammer subwoofer is still a legendary product even at todays standards! 
I'd love to have a couple of those in my semi. It's about the only vehicle capable of holding such a beast! I also loved the RFL subs. I never heard them in person, but the name... Lol. (R)eally (F)'ing (L)oud

That's old news. You act like they just got bought out yesterday. Mitek owns an assortment of brands such as Esoteric Audio, Coustic, DCM, etc.

What's your impression on the new MTX gear. I guess they just seem to follow the rest of the world as the trend has changed in car audio due to integrated head units and better 'premium ' sound packages available to consumer today. Still the speaker department and tiny amp is where they save money on as its all hidden from sight.

What's your impression on the new MTX gear. I guess they just seem to follow the rest of the world as the trend has changed in car audio due to integrated head units and better 'premium ' sound packages available to consumer today. Still the speaker department and tiny amp is where they save money on as its all hidden from sight.
I haven't kept up with their equipment much (with 20 year old equipment from them that still works great, I had no reason to), but I'd still give them a shot the next time I'm in the market. Following their Facebook page, it seems their main focus now is the UTV market, and not much new in the auto segment.

I haven't kept up with their equipment much (with 20 year old equipment from them that still works great, I had no reason to), but I'd still give them a shot the next time I'm in the market. Following their Facebook page, it seems their main focus now is the UTV market, and not much new in the auto segment.
Agree mate, same here I had many old school gear so I have never actually bought any new gear the past 20 years as they are still going strong!

Like current market / consumer trends, they have to move with the times.  Titanium tweeters does not appeal to the current mainstream consumers so they invest their money elsewhere where money is being spent.  You know what, good thing about those UHDTV is they are damn heavy so very hard to steal. I say buy the biggest one you can afford so no a..hole can steal it, even with 2 people, still have to be gentle or it will get damaged! :laugh:

I'm not 100% if I'm gonna use it or sell it to a friend. Do want to hear how she sounds in proper enclosure vs this trashed box I got her in. Mtx I know pound and have high and low end products to consumer. Mtx and Orion are main 2 I even touch. 

With those old school subwoofer, they would suit larger size box and given its a 15 inch, go for at least 2.5 cu ft box , ported with 4 inch port x 9 inch length, should make it sound good mate!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.