Replace Dash Tweeters on 2013 Sienna: Good idea?

Participant count
  • Participant list

whatwillhappenif

CarAudio.com Newbie
I love music, but have a very limited background in electronics.  Mostly I've installed a car stereo receiver and replaced some caps in my home speakers.

We have a 2013 Sienna LE with the stock 6 speaker stereo.  It sounds pretty good overall, though a bit muddy.  I figured the cheapest and easiest improvement would be to replace the 3 1/2" dash speakers with an inexpensive ($15-30/pair) tweeters such as the coaxial Pyle PLG3.2 ($15) or Pioneer TS-A878 ($34).

1) Do you believe these installs  will improve the car's sound?

2) Because these speakers are co-axial and, thus, have a crossover built in, will they work with, as I understand it, the factory stock serial wiring of the dash tweeter and door woofer or do I need to install a crossover?

3) An aside question,  because the current  speakers are apparently wired in serial, does this likely mean the factory speakers are 2 Ohm speakers (2 + 2 = 4 Ohm total) rather than 4 Ohm (4 + 4 = 8 Ohm total)?

Much obliged.

I love music, but have a very limited background in electronics.  Mostly I've installed a car stereo receiver and replaced some caps in my home speakers.

We have a 2013 Sienna LE with the stock 6 speaker stereo.  It sounds pretty good overall, though a bit muddy.  I figured the cheapest and easiest improvement would be to replace the 3 1/2" dash speakers with an inexpensive ($15-30/pair) tweeters such as the coaxial Pyle PLG3.2 ($15) or Pioneer TS-A878 ($34).

1) Do you believe these installs  will improve the car's sound?

2) Because these speakers are co-axial and, thus, have a crossover built in, will they work with, as I understand it, the factory stock serial wiring of the dash tweeter and door woofer or do I need to install a crossover?

3) An aside question,  because the current  speakers are apparently wired in serial, does this likely mean the factory speakers are 2 Ohm speakers (2 + 2 = 4 Ohm total) rather than 4 Ohm (4 + 4 = 8 Ohm total)?

Much obliged.
they will make the speakers sound considerably worse, you lose all bass and will sound tinny. Never swap speakers unless you have the foundations which include amplification power, head unit processing, acoustical deadening already done and never swap out to bottom of the barrel garbage speakers that you shouldnt touch even with a ten foot pole.

What you want to do is a head unit swap. Your stock speakers will sound massively different with more power and better processing than your stock head unit has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response.  Can you explain why I'd lose all bass if I installed these in serial with the door woofers?
thats my bad i thought you were going to replace the doors as well. You definitely just want to replace the head unit over popping in cheap dash speakers. Plus you need proper crossover capabilities as well for it to have any sort of blend with the door speakers.  Overall leave it as is and Get a proper head unit to them and they will shine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.