Running two Subs In stereo On a 2 channel Amp???

Participant count
  • Participants list

Isaac Lind

CarAudio.com Newbie
I keep thinking this and can’t figure this out in my head and it’s driving me crazy. So let’s say I have a 2 channel amp and two 2 ohm subwoofers. My amp is stable bridged at 4 ohm so I wire them in series. Now both subs pound at the same time. Now let’s say I just hook up each sub to each channel and let the subs run in stereo?! What would happen? Will they pound the same or pound in stereo and be kinda off?! My real thoughts on this are really because I have a really good zapco amp that is 1 ohm stereo stable that I could potentially hook up a lot more subwoofers too but only in stereo not bridged. But I just want to know will the subs pound the same in stereo mode as apposed to bridge mode or even mono amp style? Also if I did hook them up on each channel, is there A way to just make them run in mono mode instead of stereo? Thanks guys. Also I’ve had an account here but I’ve forgotten it and used my facebook for a new one lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bridged 2 ch functions exactly like a mono/sub amp.

Stereo differences in the subwoofer frequency range are minimal at most.  So I don't think there's much to worry about.

If the amp is 1 ohm stable in stereo that means it's 2 ohms stable bridged/mono.  So if you want to run multiple subs just make sure they're wired to 2 ohms.  Four DVC 4's, for example:

4_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

A bridged 2 ch functions exactly like a mono/sub amp.

Stereo differences in the subwoofer frequency range are minimal at most.  So I don't think there's much to worry about.

If the amp is 1 ohm stable in stereo that means it's 2 ohms stable bridged/mono.  So if you want to run multiple subs just make sure they're wired to 2 ohms.  Four DVC 4's, for example:

Keep in mind that just because our ears lose stereo separation at lower frequencies does not mean the recording devices, and playback devices, also lose it. If in doubt, its pretty easy to sum your audio signal pre-amplification. There really is no reason to ever run subs in stereo, because as you say, our ears wont hear any advantages, but there could be disadvantages in the reproduction (wave cancellation affecting output response).

edit: this is of course assuming you are running a true subwoofer system, and not one that your system also relies on for midbass, which I wouldn't recommend either due to localization issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.