Head unit resolution or camera

Participant count
  • Participant list

rutledj
10+ year member

I wanted to have a backup camera on my 2014 ram 1500 truck. A few years ago I purchased a Pioneer dvd player and a tailgate with an integrated camera. Everything works fine but the camera picture is not very clear. I'm comparing to my wife's Honda crv factory setup which is super clear even at night.

So I'm assuming that one of the devices has poor resolution. I'm thinking it might be the head unit as when wearing sunglasses, I can't see the picture at all (again, as compared to the Honda where I can see with sunglasses). Perhaps it is the camera as well because night scenes tend to be very grainy.

So what head unit resolution and camera resolution would be the minimum for having a sharp picture?

I think I assumed that if the head unit was a dvd player that it would have great resolution. Maybe not.

Thanks

Rut

I wanted to have a backup camera on my 2014 ram 1500 truck. A few years ago I purchased a Pioneer dvd player and a tailgate with an integrated camera. Everything works fine but the camera picture is not very clear. I'm comparing to my wife's Honda crv factory setup which is super clear even at night.

So I'm assuming that one of the devices has poor resolution. I'm thinking it might be the head unit as when wearing sunglasses, I can't see the picture at all (again, as compared to the Honda where I can see with sunglasses). Perhaps it is the camera as well because night scenes tend to be very grainy.

So what head unit resolution and camera resolution would be the minimum for having a sharp picture?

I think I assumed that if the head unit was a dvd player that it would have great resolution. Maybe not.

Thanks

Rut
you should probably let us know the pioneer model number. If its an old model then yes its low resolution and janky.   If its a new model then its your backup camera thats janky.  Or it can be a combination of both.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.