Head Unit with DSP Features - Acura TL

Participant count
  • Participant list

mossman

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm considering replacing the factory head unit in my 2011 Acura TL (non-NAV).  I've been using the stock head unit with an Audio Control DQDX DSP and it just isn't cutting it.  I thought of upgrading to a Helix or Audison DSP, but I feel like it would make more sense to fix the source of the problem (the head unit) rather than trying to correct the signal to make it sound better (and louder).  My question is, what double DIN receivers are on the market that have some features found in external DSPs?  Such as delay, phase, individual channel gain (including subwoofer), parametric EQ, etc.  I listen to various genres of music, so a head unit with a dedicated subwoofer level knob would be nice, although I believe my amplifier came with a bass knob, so I could just use that.  I'd also like to retain the steering wheel controls, and it is my understanding that PAC may make something for my vehicle?  BTW, I am going for sound quality here and I'd be willing to spend up to $1,000 on the HU.  I don't need or want navigation, backup camera, or video capability.  If going with two single DIN devices would give me what I want, I'd consider that over a double DIN.  Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering replacing the factory head unit in my 2011 Acura TL (non-NAV).  I've been using the stock head unit with an Audio Control DQDX DSP and it just isn't cutting it.  I thought of upgrading to a Helix or Audison DSP, but I feel like it would make more sense to fix the source of the problem (the head unit) rather than trying to correct the signal to make it sound better (and louder).  My question is, what double DIN receivers are on the market that have some features found in external DSPs?  Such as delay, phase, individual channel gain (including subwoofer), parametric EQ, etc.  I listen to various genres of music, so a head unit with a dedicated subwoofer level knob would be nice, although I believe my amplifier came with a bass knob, so I could just use that.  I'd also like to retain the steering wheel controls, and it is my understanding that PAC may make something for my vehicle?  BTW, I am going for sound quality here and I'd be willing to spend up to $1,000 on the HU.  I don't need or want navigation, backup camera, or video capability.  If going with two single DIN devices would give me what I want, I'd consider that over a double DIN.  Thanks.
Well you arent getting anything decent with the audio control unit because it doesnt De-equalize or restore the factory signal like actual DSPs that do that. Its just amplifiying the garbage signal thats coming out of the head unit so you are just getting louder garbage dont think that the helix and audison dsps will be the same as that dinosaur AC unit trying to pass as a sorry excuse for a dsp..  Pioneer double dins have all that except parametric EQ they only have graphical. There's no dedicated subwoofer knob, you just need to install your own bass knob 

you are better off going with a decent headunit with an external dsp.  the dayton 408 dsp is really great for the money.  a basic alpine or kenwood headunit paired with a $150 dayton dsp is going to be a much more loaded setup than any headunit you could buy.  

Last edited by a moderator:
pio

any of the pioneer 200$ and up double dins will have everything you want except the subwoofer knob and parametric EQ, its just 13 band graphical EQ but it works fine. It has delay, phase and Active network crossovers with bandpass capabilities for the mid, you can just get a universal bass knob with a voltage meter built in instead. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.