Subwoofer weird rattling

Participant count
  • Participants list

Ingmar05

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently bought a used car with a subwoofer. The previous owner had it wired up wrong. Amp input to radio aux in etc. I wired it up correctly (as far as i know), but the woofer makes this unplesant rattleing noise when playing bass (Video below). I am new to car audio, but i don't think it should do that. It still has great bass but the rattle ruins all the songs. Any ideas i could try? 

- 8" Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 (coils in series)

- Planetaudio AC600.2

View attachment sub.mp4

So it's most likely something got to do with the enclosure, not the driver itself?
yeah, you can do some tests, take the sub out and free air it and what 2RZ-FE said and push on the enclosure in various spots to see where the main problem areas are. Most likely the enclosure because i hear surfaces rattling.  Mechanical spider issues on the sub sounds totally different.

No rattling when i ran it free air. I don't have a different box to try it in. I tried pushing the enclosure different way's but that didn't change anything. To me it sounds like it's coming from the driver not the enclosure or something else. Could it be caused by the enclosure being too small? Should i try polyfill?

OK, try with polyfill and use a lit candle to go around the corners, could be a hairline crack which is causing the buzz as it may not be seen by the naked eye!  :graduate: .  I had that issue before, was hard to see it until I ran the sub on the garage bench and went around it with a candle and there it was...leaked air tried to blow the candle out!

Having looked at your video, looks like an IB install. :nerd:

With IB, unfortunately, things will begin to rattle as you increase the volume so best you can do is to apply sound deadening / padding to all areas that come in contact with the chassis.  Seems you are using stock location with external amplifier.  I say you will need to spend more time and effort on the sound deadening behind the subwoofer and it can be a tedious process but the end result is definitely worth while. :veryhapp:

Behind the subwoofer is what seems to be a custom made mdf enclosure. It seems airtight, but i guess i have to tear it down and take a closer look.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.