Please Help, Subwoofer dropping in power

Participant count
  • Participants list

Ol_Blue_Yota

CarAudio.com Newbie
Greetings all,

I am new here, but I have never really had issues that I cant figure out on my own until now and I think I am just missing something simple.

I recently got a 12" DbDrive 2k, its wired to a JBL Club 5501 and I have 4 gauge power and ground wires, and I think 14 Gauge speaker wire to the subwoofer itself. 

Before this setup I had 2 12" Kicker R's and a Q power 15" and it was insanely loud. 

Now with this new subwoofer, no matter what I do I can not get it to sound right. 

When I turn the volume up, it has noticeable setbacks in how loud it is. It almost sounds like it gets no power for a second and then again. So I hooked up a volt meter to the amplifier power and ground (the 4 Gauge) and the voltage started at 13.6 and as I turned volume up dropped to 12.8.

I  guess it is a loss of power but that wouldn't make sense because it was perfectly fine with more subwoofers 2 weeks ago. I redid my ground wire, and nothing changed.

I just had my alternator go out on me about a month ago, and before that it went out in January, so maybe I need a high output alternator?

I drive a 1993 Toyota pickup and an Optima Yellowtop Deepcycle batter. 

Thanks for any advice or help, and I am probably missing something obvious. 

- Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ben, could you tell me what the ohm load is from your wire to the amp speaker inputs?
The amp is probably not able to play at the ohm load your giving it and its working extra hard to try to play it but is ******* your electrical system down to low levels. simply your system cannot hold the volts up to produce the output sufficiently to make the sub work as it should.
Take a multimeter and set it to the ohm setting and put the leads on your speaker wire that plugged into the amp red (+) black (-) and see what you have there for starters.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.