SSA Evil 6.5 VS Exodus Anarchy 704

Garnell01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Need help...

I am currently running SSA Evils 6.5 in my front doors and Exodus Anarchy 704 in the rear doors.  They are being powered by a Taramps DS1200.4.

Now I was assuming that the Anarchys were going to have better midbass, but the Evils seem to have a deeper midbass and give me the sound that I want.

I thought that it might be because of sound deadening, or lack thereof, but the Evils do not have any either and sound much better.

From my setup, I am assuming that the SSA Evils are a better speaker and I should sell the Anarchys and go with evils all the way around.  Am I correct with that assumption? Or can someone advise me on the steps I should take to improve the sound for those speakers.  If anyone has any experience with them what was the best setup, or enclosure type to get the best sound out of them?

My next question, is there such a thing as too much power?  Too many watts running to the speakers?  The Taramps 196x4 @ 4 ohms rms, and I believe the anarchys are 100 rms, and evil 125 rms.  I know that i want to have headroom, but is there such a thing as too much? When going loud, gain turned almost all the way down, and eq at flat, I get a lot of distortion.

My intention was to low pass the anarchys and run them something like a sub.  Because of kids, wife, and keeping space, I did not want to run any subs in the rear.  Is there better speakers that would accomplish this in the door?  Anarchys are in there now so I have plenty of depth.  I was looking at the PRV 6MR500-NDY-4 6.5s. Would these have better midbass response and overall sound compared to the anarchys?

sorry for all the newb questions

Also, I am getting 12.6 volts on multimeter readings

Thanks in advance for any help

Need help...

I am currently running SSA Evils 6.5 in my front doors and Exodus Anarchy 704 in the rear doors.  They are being powered by a Taramps DS1200.4.

Now I was assuming that the Anarchys were going to have better midbass, but the Evils seem to have a deeper midbass and give me the sound that I want.

I thought that it might be because of sound deadening, or lack thereof, but the Evils do not have any either and sound much better.

From my setup, I am assuming that the SSA Evils are a better speaker and I should sell the Anarchys and go with evils all the way around.  Am I correct with that assumption? Or can someone advise me on the steps I should take to improve the sound for those speakers.  If anyone has any experience with them what was the best setup, or enclosure type to get the best sound out of them?

My next question, is there such a thing as too much power?  Too many watts running to the speakers?  The Taramps 196x4 @ 4 ohms rms, and I believe the anarchys are 100 rms, and evil 125 rms.  I know that i want to have headroom, but is there such a thing as too much? When going loud, gain turned almost all the way down, and eq at flat, I get a lot of distortion.

My intention was to low pass the anarchys and run them something like a sub.  Because of kids, wife, and keeping space, I did not want to run any subs in the rear.  Is there better speakers that would accomplish this in the door?  Anarchys are in there now so I have plenty of depth.  I was looking at the PRV 6MR500-NDY-4 6.5s. Would these have better midbass response and overall sound compared to the anarchys?

sorry for all the newb questions

Also, I am getting 12.6 volts on multimeter readings

Thanks in advance for any help
yikes pretty sure this is all a tuning issue. Most people that i know run evils say they are slightly weak on the midbass and most people running anarchys say they have the heaviest hitting midbass down to sub bass regions. you never mentioned any high pass filters, amp settings or how everything is ran. You also dont ever run flat EQ its their to attenuate and get you a flatter frequency response, its not meant to be set at flat.  You can literally just use the sub out RCAs to the anarchy and only send sub signals if you want.  

The PRV is a dedicated midrange, there's midbass but definitely not made for midbass, its made for loud midrange.

yikes pretty sure this is all a tuning issue. Most people that i know run evils say they are slightly weak on the midbass and most people running anarchys say they have the heaviest hitting midbass down to sub bass regions. you never mentioned any high pass filters, amp settings or how everything is ran. You also dont ever run flat EQ its their to attenuate and get you a flatter frequency response, its not meant to be set at flat.  You can literally just use the sub out RCAs to the anarchy and only send sub signals if you want.  

The PRV is a dedicated midrange, there's midbass but definitely not made for midbass, its made for loud midrange.
Thanks for the response Jeff,

As far as filters go, the Evils are on full bandpass and the Anarchys are low passed on the amp.  The taramps does not have any hz adjustments on the amp itself, just gain, lp hp bp. 

I am not going to be running active because I do not want to add another amp.  The evils will be put on a passive crossover once I get my tweeters in which is tomorrow.  I ran all new 14 gauge speaker wire and completely bypassed all stock speaker wiring (which was a pain like no other in this 2nd gen durango).  

Crossover points are not set on the head unit either (pioneer avh2400nex).  I was thinking of running the anarchys on the sub output but wasnt sure if it was the smart thing to do, but now that you said that I will try that next.  I also was noticing that the passenger side anarchy had a weaker bass response than the driver side, I was guessing that it may be wiring, i was also wondering if my rca cables were just no good.  They came from a scosche 4 gauge amp wiring kit.

"They came from a scoshe 4 gauge amp wiring kit"

Junk that kit and get yourself a real set of rca's, OFC power and ground wire as well if you are using it's power/ground wire in the install.

That kit is nothing but walmart junk.

Never go cheap on that stuff it will always hurt you in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
"They came from a scoshe 4 gauge amp wiring kit"

Junk that kit and get yourself a real set of rca's, OFC power and ground wire as well if you are using it's power/ground wire in the install.

That kit is nothing but walmart junk.

Never go cheap on that stuff it will always hurt you in the long run.
Thanks, I will definitely grab some new rcas,  it as far as the power and ground, the wire is ofc, at least that’s what it says on the package and wire. Still toss it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any advice on which direction I should go with system setup? 
a small monoblock amp for the rear deck.  use the taramps to run active up front with the evils, dont use amp crossovers, everything done on the head unit.  Your idea of a passive crossover severely limits power to the mids and takes away precise sound stage aspects by not letting tweeters and mids be time aligned individually nor can it properly blend with eachother like it would going active crossovers. With a passive crossover you are just praying that sh*t works out but 90% of the times it either gets okay, mediocre or sh*t results. While doing active will guarantee above average to amazing results.

a small monoblock amp for the rear deck.  use the taramps to run active up front with the evils, dont use amp crossovers, everything done on the head unit.  Your idea of a passive crossover severely limits power to the mids and takes away precise sound stage aspects by not letting tweeters and mids be time aligned individually nor can it properly blend with eachother like it would going active crossovers. With a passive crossover you are just praying that sh*t works out but 90% of the times it either gets okay, mediocre or sh*t results. While doing active will guarantee above average to amazing results.
Thanks for the help Jeff, 

Looks like I will be buying another amp

I appreciate all the feedback

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.