Speaker suggestions for rear doors?

Participant count
  • Participants list

JSMCO

CO
Hi guys.  I have a 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.  Kenwood Excelon Head.  AudioControl Three.2 (For Sub Only, it actually works very well) & Matrix Plus.  Alpine PDR M65 AMP for 1 10" sub Old Boston Pro 10.

Front doors are Boston SPZ60's.  Extra set of Boston Neo Tweeters in the dash, tuned down -6db and firing upside down.  Rear doors is an old set of Boston PRO 6 Components.  And I mean Old, like 15 years or so.  Mids and Tweeters run by a 4 channel Rockford Punch 801x, which is rated for 100w x4 at 4 ohm, or 200w x4 at 2 ohm.  The SPZ's in the front, the manual says they are 3 ohm.

The mids in the rear doors of the truck sit high, up near the top of the doors, (probably that is at least part of the problem) the tweeters are down lower.  The sound coming from the rear was kind of grating on my ears, especially with vocals.  I thought maybe it was the tweeters.  The old crossovers for them don't have any adjustable attenuation.  But it's not the tweets, it's the mids that are putting out kind of a harsh grating sound, maybe they are just worn out.  The amp gain is all the way down and I have even dialed back the output on the matrix plus but they still sound harsh. 

I am wondering if you guys would have any suggestions for a good component set of 6 1/2s that are known for having mids that are very warm, smooth and not harsh.  Same with the tweeters.  I have about 2 1/2" of mounting depth to work with, and the current mids, with trim ring, come out about 3/4" from the door with no grilles on and I am able to cover them with the door panel. 

I am an sq guy but I do like to go loud fairly often.  Most of the time I dial back the gain on the rears so my soundstage is in front, but sometimes I like to just crank it up with the rears loud as well and have the sound kind of fill up the entire cabin of the truck.

Not looking to spend $1,000 or anything.  $200-$300 max.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering if you guys would have any suggestions for a good component set of 6 1/2s that are known for having mids that are very warm, smooth and not harsh.  Same with the tweeters.  I have about 2 1/2" of mounting depth to work with, and the current mids, with trim ring, come out about 3/4" from the door with no grilles on and I am able to cover them with the door panel. 
In the week since you posted this have you bought speakers for your rear doors?

I did.

I considered some Focal Iss165s, Morel Maximo 602s and Polk MM6502s.

I went with the Polks in the end because:

1.  The other two did not have any attenuation control for the tweeters.

2.  The Polks had a bit higher RMS handling

3.  The Polks will fit into my rear door cutouts with no mods needed.

Will be installing them tomorrow, but can always return them if not pleased.  I'm still open to input.

Last edited by a moderator:
JSMCO said:
Hi guys.  I have a 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.  Kenwood Excelon Head.  AudioControl Three.2 (For Sub Only, it actually works very well) & Matrix Plus.  Alpine PDR M65 AMP for 1 10" sub Old Boston Pro 10.

Front doors are Boston SPZ60's.  Extra set of Boston Neo Tweeters in the dash, tuned down -6db and firing upside down.  Rear doors is an old set of Boston PRO 6 Components.  And I mean Old, like 15 years or so.  Mids and Tweeters run by a 4 channel Rockford Punch 801x, which is rated for 100w x4 at 4 ohm, or 200w x4 at 2 ohm.  The SPZ's in the front, the manual says they are 3 ohm.

The mids in the rear doors of the truck sit high, up near the top of the doors, (probably that is at least part of the problem) the tweeters are down lower.  The sound coming from the rear was kind of grating on my ears, especially with vocals.  I thought maybe it was the tweeters.  The old crossovers for them don't have any adjustable attenuation.  But it's not the tweets, it's the mids that are putting out kind of a harsh grating sound, maybe they are just worn out.  The amp gain is all the way down and I have even dialed back the output on the matrix plus but they still sound harsh. 

I am an sq guy but I do like to go loud fairly often.  Most of the time I dial back the gain on the rears so my soundstage is in front, but sometimes I like to just crank it up with the rears loud as well and have the sound kind of fill up the entire cabin of the truck.

Not looking to spend $1,000 or anything.  $200-$300 max.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  
leave the rears on head unit power or take out the rears completely and bridge your 4 channel to the fronts or run active networks with the fronts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.