Jump to content


JeeperVol

2018 Wrangler JL- Upgrading from JL Audio 8" microsub

Recommended Posts

I have a 2018 4 door wrangler jl with Hertz energy 5.25" components up front and coaxials in rollbar amplified by 4 channel Alpine PDR 50(85watt RMS) with factory signal running through a jl fix 86 and in the back cargo area a jl audio ACP108 powered 250 watt 8" sub controlled by a  bass knob.  I've put down dynomat on the tub and am going for a clean/full SQ build that isnt too power hungry and dims the lights.

It currently sounds pretty good with the sound faded forward to create the front soundstage, but the 8" sub doesn't hit some of the lows and distorts at times.  I use my trunk alot and dont want a big box taking up alot more space.  Looking to stay under $600 for sub/amp and am leaning towards a 10" sealed sub in a efficient box.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACS112 12" sealed powered 400 watt($550)and the more expensive w3 or really nice w6v3 in a sealed box + buying a seperate amp.  Also considered just going up 1 size in my current jl audio ported to a ACP110 which is 400 watt 10" ported, but am concerned it wouldn't be a meaningful enough upgrade to justify the cost.  I'm not opposed to buying used and would definitely look at buying another brand sub if it sounded good....just have experience with jl audio subs.  Thoughts/recommendations are appreciated!  

Edited by JeeperVol
Add verbiage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No such thing as a small and efficient sealed box. 

Efficiency

Low end extension

Small box

 

Huffmans Iron Law says you get to pick 2 out of the 3, but you cannot have all 3 together.

 


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply...what would recommend for something sealed that is a step up considering my setup and budget of $500-600?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JeeperVol said:

Thanks for the reply...what would recommend for something sealed that is a step up considering my setup and budget of $500-600?

JL W6, Dayton Ultimax, Stereo Integrity HST are the few that I know of. I'm not an SQ guy and I am vehemently against sealed boxes so I won't be much help but I know the ones I mentioned are proven performers. 


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sealed subs... I'd do the SI

Be prepared to break bread tho... performance ain't cheap


JVC KD-X350BTS, FI Bl-18v3d2, Deaf Bonce AAK 4000.1, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ250A Ces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tw5 line from jl is very nice for .8 cube but they are damn expensive and not worth retail.

 

The stereo integrity bm mkiv ot mkv would be my next pick.

 

Maybe a pair of sundown sd8s in a small box but that would require about twice the amp you are using now.


2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4

Pioneer touch screen with front and rear cam

Memphis viv component run active

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

2 jl 13tw5-3 in subthump understeat box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can find one CDT QES1220. 1cu.ft sealed on 500 watts and you'll be happier than a crackhead with $10


I lost my father in 2014. My Avatar is in his memory

 

2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium

2016 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic

Chapter President Hard Chargers LE MC

 

Sold to: TheFiverMan, Brian235, ryanr7386, Loudmp5, bmxnitro, furbee86, evilmonstertruk Bought from: double07 x 5, michaellane, mitchell0715, CSCStang x 2, ccapital83 x 3, Goindef154 Traded with: foreman, macsdad, bigblackdodge, michaellane, CRXBMPN, Boomsday, beak81champ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, THATpurpleKUSH said:

JL W6, Dayton Ultimax, Stereo Integrity HST are the few that I know of. I'm not an SQ guy and I am vehemently against sealed boxes so I won't be much help but I know the ones I mentioned are proven performers. 

Thanks...I was quoted $475 for a new jl w6v3 10" sub which should sound good in a .6 cu ft sealed box powered by a 500 watt RMS amp.    Factoring in $100 for the enclosure and $300 for an amp and I'm pushing $900, which is more than I want to spend.  I'm not opposed to buying used as long as it's in good condition and not more than a few years old.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACP110 and its a ported 10" tw1 powered by a built in 400 watt amp.  Just not sure it would be a meaningful upgrade over my current jl audio ported 8" 250 watt setup.

 

Secondly, the linked below 10" Dayton Ultimax is only $144.  Would this sub in a sealed enclosure with 500 watts RMS driving it sound better significantly better than my current ported 8" with 250 watts pushing it? I like the price alot.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UM10-22-Ultimax-Subwoofer/dp/B00ADR2CKQ

Edited by JeeperVol
Verbiage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, shredder2 said:

Sealed subs... I'd do the SI

Be prepared to break bread tho... performance ain't cheap

Too much for me...my budget is $600 including sub, enclosure and amp.  I'm not opposed to a used sub/amp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AnthonyO said:

If you can find one CDT QES1220. 1cu.ft sealed on 500 watts and you'll be happier than a crackhead with $10

1 cu ft enclosure is a little bigger than I would like and the 10" are pushing $400+ new.  Do you know where you can find a used one?   How does it compare to the jl w6v3 in terms of sound quality and size of sealed enclosure needed?

Edited by JeeperVol
Adjustment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, THATpurpleKUSH said:

JL W6, Dayton Ultimax, Stereo Integrity HST are the few that I know of. I'm not an SQ guy and I am vehemently against sealed boxes so I won't be much help but I know the ones I mentioned are proven performers. 

This 10"  Dayton ultimax is much cheaper than the jl w6v3. ($150 vs $475)  Does it sound remotely close to as good?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7109761009379218655?q=dayton+ultimax+10+sealed&biw=412&bih=722&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=epd:9254506042915698909,paur:ClkAsKraX-fTbtNdz-eKyba6BHlscwRx9AFLFrbSqb2Bm9JkOoi19G5Rv_1fbR-iYENeInhd-_HYIbPuBLOKOGesRmUHAGAS3zLm_oX2e4z9qTYcixiBjjYu2hIZAFPVH73nReh79xSrmaKhuUcs0aboK20DvA,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, winkychevelle said:

The tw5 line from jl is very nice for .8 cube but they are damn expensive and not worth retail.

 

The stereo integrity bm mkiv ot mkv would be my next pick.

 

Maybe a pair of sundown sd8s in a small box but that would require about twice the amp you are using now.

The tw5 only comes in a 13.5" size and its $650.  Stereo integrity also doesnt seem to offer a 10" sub.  I'm looking for a 10" sub that semi competes with the 10" jl w6v3 in SQ, but for $600 with sub, enclosure and amp. I know you gotta pay to play and that's why I'm open to used parts.

Edited by JeeperVol
Change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JeeperVol said:

 

8 hours ago, JeeperVol said:

Thanks...I was quoted $475 for a new jl w6v3 10" sub which should sound good in a .6 cu ft sealed box powered by a 500 watt RMS amp.    Factoring in $100 for the enclosure and $300 for an amp and I'm pushing $900, which is more than I want to spend.  I'm not opposed to buying used as long as it's in good condition and not more than a few years old.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACP110 and its a ported 10" tw1 powered by a built in 400 watt amp.  Just not sure it would be a meaningful upgrade over my current jl audio ported 8" 250 watt setup.

 

Secondly, the linked below 10" Dayton Ultimax is only $144.  Would this sub in a sealed enclosure with 500 watts RMS driving it sound better significantly better than my current ported 8" with 250 watts pushing it? I like the price alot.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UM10-22-Ultimax-Subwoofer/dp/B00ADR2CKQ

$100 is way too much for a sealed box, esp for a single 10, you shouldn't pay more than $40 for one. 

7 hours ago, JeeperVol said:

The Ultimax is a good sub just not very efficient, use a big amp with a lot of headroom and you will be fine.


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

 

$100 is way too much for a sealed box, esp for a single 10, you shouldn't pay more than $40 for one. 

The Ultimax is a good sub just not very efficient, use a big amp with a lot of headroom and you will be fine.

Thanks....what 10" sub would you consider more efficient and quality sounding at $250/ea or less?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you are shooting yourself in the foot by trying to keep things sealed and looking only at JL.  


09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeeperVol said:

Thanks....what 10" sub would you consider more efficient and quality sounding at $250/ea or less?

You don't get efficiency with a sealed box, especially a small one. By choosing a small box you need to make up for the low efficiency by using more power. There are always trade offs you will have to consider.


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeffdachef said:

you are shooting yourself in the foot by trying to keep things sealed and looking only at JL.  

I'm not married to jl audio and actually would prefer a lesser known brand.  What would you recommend as a space concious upgrade looking for sound quality at $600 for sub/amp/enclosure?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at doing an Infinite baffle sub if you dont want to take up space.


09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jeffdachef said:

look at doing an Infinite baffle sub if you dont want to take up space.

Recommendations on a 10" sub for $250 or less?  I'm considering a ported or sealed enclosure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JeeperVol said:

Recommendations on a 10" sub for $250 or less?  I'm considering a ported or sealed enclosure 

i'm guessing you dont know what infinite baffle means?


09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×