Need shallower midbase drivers

Participant count
  • Participants list

4BangerStanger

CarAudio.com Regular
DFW
As I've been doing my research here and on a couple Mustang forums, I've come to the realization that the 6.5s I was planning on using (either Daytons or Silverflutes) may be too deep. Based on what I've read, 2.75" is about the max depth for my door speakers. It seems like everything I've found is either too deep or much more expensive than the two brands I mentioned above. Can anyone recommend some that'll work?  I may be able to squeeze a 1/4" spacer in there and make one of these, but it doesn't sound promising. Those that have done the 2.75" deep speakers had to reuse the factory spacers and it sounds like there's no room between the speakers and door panels. 

Kicker made some Resolution SSMB 6.5" and 8" many years ago, i have a pair of the 8's and they handle 350w. Im not aware of anyone else that makes something like that simply cause i never looked. I have seen some that are inverted where the magnet is on the front instead of the back, but i dont remember what video or what brand it was.

Kicker made some Resolution SSMB 6.5" and 8" many years ago, i have a pair of the 8's and they handle 350w. Im not aware of anyone else that makes something like that simply cause i never looked. I have seen some that are inverted where the magnet is on the front instead of the back, but i dont remember what video or what brand it was.
I've seen a few of those inverted types too. But, don't recall the brand at the moment. I did find a Memphis model that's pretty shallow:

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-speakers/c-15-midrange-speakers/c-103-65/memphis-srxp62-6-5-125-rms-pro-audio-component-speakers.html

Anyone have any experience with them?

Those Illusions are definitely out of my price range. Any thoughts or input on the brands/models I linked?  I've always thought Memphis stuff was pretty highly regarded. People seem to love the Massive tweeters (which I'll be running). Maybe their mids are good too?

It seems like you could use some help from other resources. What's the year and body style of your Mustang?
It's a 2015 Mustang Coupe. Most of the installs I've seen have been component sets, i.e. Kicker, Focal, etc. But, have seen the Daytons discussed and the consensus is that they're too deep. One person successfully installed a set of 2.75" deep Image Dynamics, but only by reusing the factory speaker bracket/spacer. There is apparently not much, if any room between the front of the speaker and the door panel, which makes it impossible to add more spacer. So, I'm on the hunt for something 2.75" or less.  The couple models that I linked and the other Massives that were mentioned all fit that criteria, so seems like it'll be relatively easy to find something that will work. It's just tricky to get feedback on those because it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use them. 

It's a 2015 Mustang Coupe. Most of the installs I've seen have been component sets, i.e. Kicker, Focal, etc. But, have seen the Daytons discussed and the consensus is that they're too deep. One person successfully installed a set of 2.75" deep Image Dynamics, but only by reusing the factory speaker bracket/spacer. There is apparently not much, if any room between the front of the speaker and the door panel, which makes it impossible to add more spacer. So, I'm on the hunt for something 2.75" or less.  The couple models that I linked and the other Massives that were mentioned all fit that criteria, so seems like it'll be relatively easy to find something that will work. It's just tricky to get feedback on those because it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use them. 
There are DIY installation photos shown with this 2015+ Mustang speaker kit. The front midbass woofers in the MDF spacer brackets, with the yellow cones, are 3" deep. http://cdtaudio.com/2ohm/midwoofers-2ohm/cw6mb2.php

The kit includes the HD-M6CV midbass woofers. See the other images and the details in the page.

OK. So, good news. I actually found a post on my Mustang forum where a guy mounted Dayton 7" drivers in the front doors using some spacers. Said it was no problem and there was plenty of room. So, I ordered some of the spacers and am going to throw some Silverflutes in that bad bow. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.