4BangerStanger

Need shallower midbase drivers

As I've been doing my research here and on a couple Mustang forums, I've come to the realization that the 6.5s I was planning on using (either Daytons or Silverflutes) may be too deep. Based on what I've read, 2.75" is about the max depth for my door speakers. It seems like everything I've found is either too deep or much more expensive than the two brands I mentioned above. Can anyone recommend some that'll work?  I may be able to squeeze a 1/4" spacer in there and make one of these, but it doesn't sound promising. Those that have done the 2.75" deep speakers had to reuse the factory spacers and it sounds like there's no room between the speakers and door panels. 

Kicker made some Resolution SSMB 6.5" and 8" many years ago, i have a pair of the 8's and they handle 350w. Im not aware of anyone else that makes something like that simply cause i never looked. I have seen some that are inverted where the magnet is on the front instead of the back, but i dont remember what video or what brand it was.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:31 PM, Talontsi90 said:

Kicker made some Resolution SSMB 6.5" and 8" many years ago, i have a pair of the 8's and they handle 350w. Im not aware of anyone else that makes something like that simply cause i never looked. I have seen some that are inverted where the magnet is on the front instead of the back, but i dont remember what video or what brand it was.

I've seen a few of those inverted types too. But, don't recall the brand at the moment. I did find a Memphis model that's pretty shallow:

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-speakers/c-15-midrange-speakers/c-103-65/memphis-srxp62-6-5-125-rms-pro-audio-component-speakers.html

Anyone have any experience with them?

Illusion audio carbon C6.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

16 minutes ago, Popwarhomie said:

Illusion audio carbon C6.

Yea, that was the brand.

Edited by Talontsi90

Those Illusions are definitely out of my price range. Any thoughts or input on the brands/models I linked?  I've always thought Memphis stuff was pretty highly regarded. People seem to love the Massive tweeters (which I'll be running). Maybe their mids are good too?

Massive Audio M6S.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:51 PM, 4BangerStanger said:

As I've been doing my research here and on a couple Mustang forums

It seems like you could use some help from other resources. What's the year and body style of your Mustang?

Barry Schanz Enterprises, LLC

dba Rubyserv Mobile Audio Systems

Founder of Students of Mobile Audio training

Setting Crossovers

43 minutes ago, trumpet said:

It seems like you could use some help from other resources. What's the year and body style of your Mustang?

It's a 2015 Mustang Coupe. Most of the installs I've seen have been component sets, i.e. Kicker, Focal, etc. But, have seen the Daytons discussed and the consensus is that they're too deep. One person successfully installed a set of 2.75" deep Image Dynamics, but only by reusing the factory speaker bracket/spacer. There is apparently not much, if any room between the front of the speaker and the door panel, which makes it impossible to add more spacer. So, I'm on the hunt for something 2.75" or less.  The couple models that I linked and the other Massives that were mentioned all fit that criteria, so seems like it'll be relatively easy to find something that will work. It's just tricky to get feedback on those because it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use them. 

On 5/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, 4BangerStanger said:

It's a 2015 Mustang Coupe. Most of the installs I've seen have been component sets, i.e. Kicker, Focal, etc. But, have seen the Daytons discussed and the consensus is that they're too deep. One person successfully installed a set of 2.75" deep Image Dynamics, but only by reusing the factory speaker bracket/spacer. There is apparently not much, if any room between the front of the speaker and the door panel, which makes it impossible to add more spacer. So, I'm on the hunt for something 2.75" or less.  The couple models that I linked and the other Massives that were mentioned all fit that criteria, so seems like it'll be relatively easy to find something that will work. It's just tricky to get feedback on those because it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use them. 

There are DIY installation photos shown with this 2015+ Mustang speaker kit. The front midbass woofers in the MDF spacer brackets, with the yellow cones, are 3" deep. http://cdtaudio.com/2ohm/midwoofers-2ohm/cw6mb2.php

The kit includes the HD-M6CV midbass woofers. See the other images and the details in the page.

Barry Schanz Enterprises, LLC

dba Rubyserv Mobile Audio Systems

Founder of Students of Mobile Audio training

Setting Crossovers

they get loud but not really midbassy nor warm sounding. Something you want if you just want shallow mounts that scream.

https://www.amazon.com/CT-Sounds-Audio-Inch-Speaker/dp/B01N03TX64

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

OK. So, good news. I actually found a post on my Mustang forum where a guy mounted Dayton 7" drivers in the front doors using some spacers. Said it was no problem and there was plenty of room. So, I ordered some of the spacers and am going to throw some Silverflutes in that bad bow. 

make a 1.5 inch mdf baffle. soo easy.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Jeffdachef said:

make a 1.5 inch mdf baffle. soo easy.

Yeah, now that I know there's room between the door and door panel, I'll be good to go. 

Edited by 4BangerStanger

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now