Steering wheel control adapters..worth it?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Warpshift
10+ year member

So I just bought a new daily driver in the form of a 2008 Honda Civic 4D. I have steering wheel controls on it, but they are just for volume up or down and same with channel up or down. Is buying a steering wheel adapter really worth it? I didn't see much of anything related to steering wheel controls on the site. 

What I did find is that the adapters are expensive and have mixed results on effectiveness and longevity. This doesn't bold well with me either. 

I have an older Nissan Frontier that has no steering wheel controls and I always got along well without them, but I am unsure on my Honda. Yes it's convenient having them for the stock radio (which is absolute garbage), but I don't see how having basic controls would help me in anyway with whatever upgraded h/u I purchase. 

Any ideas or thoughts? 

Even when i had them i always reached for the hu anyway. I never bother with it and spend my money elsewhere.

I guess if ya drive with your cell phone constantly in one hand  put makeup on read eat etc it might be handy.

Even when i had them i always reached for the hu anyway. I never bother with it and spend my money elsewhere.

I guess if ya drive with your cell phone constantly in one hand  put makeup on read eat etc it might be handy.
Well I put my phone on BT mode then just go. Usually have playlists coming in from Spotify so I only really touch the volume up/down unless I'm switching music types, then I just switch the EQ to another custom setting. 

I can't say I have tried applying makeup at 75mph while I on the freeway. Maybe that will make it to my bucket-list when I have given up all hope in life. 🤣🤣

Well I put my phone on BT mode then just go. Usually have playlists coming in from Spotify so I only really touch the volume up/down unless I'm switching music types, then I just switch the EQ to another custom setting. 

I can't say I have tried applying makeup at 75mph while I on the freeway. Maybe that will make it to my bucket-list when I have given up all hope in life. 🤣🤣
I've seen crazier things. People do stupid s##t behind the wheel 

I've had a great experience with the iDataLink product. It was just $99. I was able to program the unit by walking through a process while the device was connected to my computer using a USB cable. I entered in such data as the model # and serial # of my Kenwood head unit, then selected what features I wanted. I retained my steering wheel audio controls on my 2014 Ford Mustang convertible and added features that display on the head unit as a result of using the iDataLink product to include gauge information for my vehicle, tire pressure monitoring, etc. For me, the $99 was an excellent investment. Though I will still reach for the volume control at times on the head unit, it's still great to be able to control the volume, switching music tracks, etc. from my steering wheel when I have to have both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road as I live in an area that is heavily congested with traffic.

That's one of those whatever works for you deals. I'm old school. I use the steering wheel controls, but still find myself reaching for the radio. LOL
I do like the steering wheel controls for voice commands, phone, etc. My truck has all of that stock. I wouldn't buy anything to add it if I didn't have it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.