Insulating wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list
Not sure what you mean op.... I've had systems in az (Tucson and Phoenix) since the late 80's and the only heat issues I've had were as a noob.

Undersized wire,  touching exhaust manifold, poor connections... etc

Explain why it's a concern 

Depends where the wire is running to and from mate! :suave:

In case of power/ wires from the engine bay which has exposure to heat; :uhoh:

• use plastic conduit a bit larger then the power cable all the way in side the engine bay, and secure with cable ties; use correct lug connections and ensure the connections are secure;
In case of behind the head unit, speaker wires, and amplifier wires; :furious:

• ensure you apply solder, followed by heat shrink over to avoid short circuits; behind radio and to speaker terminals; use at least 14 - 16 gauge wire for installations;
  • use cable ties to tidy up wires behind the head unit so that wires and RCA's are all neat and secure;
  • ensure you use correct size power / ground distribution blocks from the battery to the amplifier(s);
  • ensure that all connections are safe during installation and no frayed wire is touching the other terminal;
  • check correct speaker / subwoofer connection to the speakers and the subwoofer input terminals;
  • check subwoofer input terminal to confirm strong connection;
  • secure your subwoofer box in the trunk area so that it does not move and hit your amplifier which could cause wires / ground to loosen;
  • remember, power travels from negative to positive, hence the 12v negative ground theory so make sure you have good grounding point;
Hope some of this suggestions are helpful in your case. :suave:

Cheers!

20150201_115530.jpg

Not sure what you mean op.... I've had systems in az (Tucson and Phoenix) since the late 80's and the only heat issues I've had were as a noob.

Undersized wire,  touching exhaust manifold, poor connections... etc

Explain why it's a concern 
In my last 2 vehicles, the decks both had wiring issues. They would be fine for about a year, then randomly play on either the left side or right side. Only after about an hour or so would both left and right sides of the car play together. Maybe I should have labeled this as a deck wiring issue? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.