Do all channels output the same ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Danny Marz

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 5 channel amp. If I run 2 channels at 2 ohms and the other channels are wired for 4 ohms will all the channels output 2 ohms power or only the ones that are wired at 2 ohms? I’m basically trying to get my sub output higher by running it at 2 ohms  the amp I have doesn’t have enough power running to my sub

dash speakers —-> ch 1&2

front and rear door speakers —->ch 3&4

10” sub ——> ch 5

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, power output can be different.  It is determined by the impedance on THAT channel.

So if the amp is 70x4 at 4 and 100x4 at 2 + 300x1 at 4 or 500x1 at 2

Ch 1/2 would be 70w per speaker

Ch 3/4 would be 100x2 or 50w per speaker.

Sub would be 500.

Assuming all speakers are 4 ohms and the sub's wired for 2.

So there’s no way to wire a single voice coil 4 ohm sub down to 2 ohms? My sub is just a single voice coil 4 ohm kicker sub

So there’s no way to wire a single voice coil 4 ohm sub down to 2 ohms? My sub is just a single voice coil 4 ohm kicker sub
I've had a few 5 ch amps in the past and currently on my 3rd one right now. What determines running a lower ohm load to your amp that will change impedances and more power is how you wire your sub and/or speakers for a final impedance. For instance: The sub ch on my amp is 250 @ 4 ohms, 450 @ 2 ohm and 600 @ 1 ohm. All these ratings are for 12.5 so it's underrated. My sub is dual 2 ohm. I have it wired to a final impedance of 1 ohm....wired to the amp and will make the most power from it that way. Pushing around 800-850 watts @ 1 ohm.

So to answer your question, your stuck on running that sub on 4 ohm....unless it was dvc then you would have more wiring options. I'd buy a dvc sub if I was you and sell that one.

negative

Might not be much of a factor though.  The 300/500 example above would only improve output by a couple dB assuming the sub's not already near its limit.  Could be less than that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.