No negative wiring from original Head Unit...

Participant count
  • Participant list

jhorton

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am in the process of replace the factory head unit (sony no nav) with another head unit (power acoustik with nav) and when I went to create a wiring harness, I noticed there were no negative speaker connections coming from original head unit.. So my question is, should I ground the ones coming out of the new head unit to each other or just leave them unconnected?

jhorton...

When I look up this item and check the fit to my vehicle, it says "This item is NOT recommended for your vehicle." I have a 2011 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew with a Sony system but no navigation...

Wait a second...did you cut the existing Ford stock harness and then try to wire it up to the harness on the new head unit? If so then that is your problem always buy the vehicles wiring harness for yours it is, and if you have an amplified vehicle which both sites show that it does

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60544_Axxess-XSVI-5521-NAV.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4FD11/PAC-RP4-FD11-Wiring-Interface.html

If you had gone through crutchfield you could have added all the accessories you needed for an extra 145 dollars as that kit is expensive as I stated below. If you are going to try install without that dash kit, idk if it is going to work.

And a dash kit that is very expensive at 169.00 dollars on both sonicelectronix and crutchfield

along with an antenna adapter also.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4428_Scosche-CRAB-CRA.html

Good luck with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have cut nothing... I ordered a harness from Maestro HRN-RR-FO1 and a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface... I friend of mine put this together so it would be a plug and play... Except that didn't work. First I was missing a switch power supply... I got that from the fuse panel... Now it turn on but no sound. That is when I looked closer at the connectors in my truck.. I will attach pictures of the connectors... There is a 24 pin, 16 pin and a 8 pin.... The 24 is where the speakers are connected. The 8 is where the amp is connected... Just getting me all confused as to how to get this to work.... These connectors is what attaches to my factory stereo...

20190505_085207.jpg

20190505_085208.jpg

20190505_085222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Out shopping right now but to me it sounds like the harness might be wrong. But without checking what the one you got looks like it is kinda hard to tell. Hopefully someone else pops in otherwise I'll try to look when I get home in 2 to 3 hours

From what I see on that harness there is negative speaker wiring in the harness. The white with black, the purple with black, the green with black and the grey with black are all negative speaker wires on just about every vehicle out there.

And that harness is the correct one so sounds like it is possibly not wired correctly.

I think I am going to repin the harness to match the 24pin so that the positive speaker wires are correct and see if that works.. If not, I may try one of the floating ground adapters mentioned in an earlier post... Will update later...

Hold up.  If the car has a factory amplifier, then the shields can be common.  You cannot wire the aftermarket speaker outputs into a factory amp input unless you know the amp can accept it.  Factory amp signals are usually from the RCA outputs of an aftermarket head unit.   

The factory amp needs a remote turn on signal. 

First, verify you have a factory amp.  Second, get the interface for that trim level.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.