Speakers cutting out/static when turning or adjusting steering wheel

Participant count
  • Participant list

XxProDiGY

CarAudio.com Newbie
I bought a civic si with an aftermarket amp and sub wired to the factory stereo system, since I bought it there was a small issue with the front speakers, they cut out or make a static noise when I turn the steering wheel or adjust it up/down or forward/back. It makes no sense as some days it will do it and other days it won’t be an issue whatsoever. I tried pulling off the top cover of the steering wheel also and as soon as I do that, the issue goes away so I can’t see if there’s something being pulled or caught that might be causing it. I have also been noticing that the volume of the speakers gets slightly louder then goes back to normal, and just continuously goes back and fourth Any advice on what I should be looking for would be appreciated!

That's odd. Was an alarm system installed?  Unlikely but possible that the wiring to the steering wheel controls is being affected.  Sometimes, we'll see the connections made for an aftermarket system can make the factory connections fragile, but those connections aren't under the steering cover.

That's odd. Was an alarm system installed?  Unlikely but possible that the wiring to the steering wheel controls is being affected.  Sometimes, we'll see the connections made for an aftermarket system can make the factory connections fragile, but those connections aren't under the steering cover.
Yes there was one installed. It gone from the staticing to completely screwing up my speakers now, do you happen to know where the wiring would be found?

You'll have to get under the dash and inspect.  Could be they ran the RCA's or other cables over top of the steering wheel shaft and it's worn through the RCA insulation.  Visually inspect for any wiring that is not factory (it will be obvious) that is ran under the dash, how it's ran, how it's secured, and if it looks damaged.  Zip ties to re-secure cables will be handy.

Can also look for any aftermarket wiring splices or taps. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.