-PLEASE HELP-Whats the best way to wire amp to subwoofer

Waylon Daniel Eric Hagin

CarAudio.com Newbie
i have an alpine mrv-m1200 and a rockford fosgate p3d4-12 Just want to know the best way to wire the amp to the sub to get the most out of what i have without risking damage to amp or sub

Amp specs--

• Alpine MRV-M1200 V-Power Digital Amplifier
  • Class-D Full Range Monoblock Amplifier
  • RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 600 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 1200 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: ------------N/A------------

[*]Total power output: 2400 watts

[*]CEA-2006 Compliant Amplifier

[*]40% smaller footprint than its predecessors

[*]Pulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supply

[*]Wired remote bass level control sold separately - Rux-Knob

[*]Alpine RUX-KNOB.2 is also compatible with this amp

[*]LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators

[*]Soft start turn-on

[*]Mono channel operation

[*]3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)

[*]Dual speaker terminals simplify the hookup of multiple speakers

[*]Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink for extreme heat dissipation

[*]Input sensitivity:

• Low level: 0.4V-10V

[*]Frequency Response: 7 - 400 Hz

[*]Total Harmonic Distortion @ 2 Ohms (THD): <0.2%

[*]Signal to Noise Ration (1W into 4 ohms): >85 dB

[*]Variable low-pass filter: 50 - 400 Hz, -24 dB/octave

Subwoofer specs--

• 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
  • anodized aluminum cone with Santoprene surround
  • hybrid StampCast basket provides strength while minimizing weight and resonance
  • Vertical Attach Surround Technique (VAST™) increases cone area
  • power range: 300-600 watts RMS (1200 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 28-250 Hz
  • sensitivity: 85 dB
  • top-mount depth: 6-11/16"
  • sealed box volume: .75-1.25 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: 1.79 cubic feet

Last edited by a moderator:
You could safely wire the coils in series for an 8 ohm load to the amp, which would likely get you around 300 watts RMS. The other option is to wire it in parallel for 2 ohm load, but you'd need to set the gains low enough to not over drive the sub. That could be risky and something I'd have an installer do in your shoes.  There's also the third option of replacing the sub or amp to get something better matched.

^^^^^^Terrible advice.

Wire the subs to achieve the 2 ohm load for the amp. Since that amp has enough power  to blow the sub, little do people know you can limit it's ability by doing some simple math. 24.49 is set for the 600 rms mark using a DMM and a 50Hz test tone. This can be simply be done by you or someone else. Plenty of youtube vids on gain setting tutorials/know how. Any questions about it ask away.

^^^^^^Terrible advice.

Wire the subs to achieve the 2 ohm load for the amp. Since that amp has enough power  to blow the sub, little do people know you can limit it's ability by doing some simple math. 24.49 is set for the 600 rms mark using a DMM and a 50Hz test tone. This can be simply be done by you or someone else. Plenty of youtube vids on gain setting tutorials/know how. Any questions about it ask away.
Calls my advice terrible, then gives the exact same advice.

Nice.

Nice.
It's to be expected around here.

I basically agree with your assessment, but I wouldn't worry much about running it at 2 ohms.  Impedance rise and a conservative gain setting should put it in a good situation.  Use a little caution at high volume and it ought to work well.

Nice.
I gave a better advice than you did. I took it one step further than you did. Running it and wiring it at 8 ohms is a stupid idea. Amp and sub will both fit that 2 ohm combo just fine....why not make use of it and use  some of the amps power?

Anything else you'd like to say?

It's to be expected around here.

I basically agree with your assessment, but I wouldn't worry much about running it at 2 ohms.  Impedance rise and a conservative gain setting should put it in a good situation.  Use a little caution at high volume and it ought to work well.
Again, no issue running at 2 ohms. If he takes my advice, he'll be fine. Sure as hell beats running at 8 ohms.

Amp and sub will both fit that 2 ohm combo just fine....why not make use of it and use  some of the amps power?

Yes. I'll point out this key point of the OP's post.

...without risking damage to amp or sub
It's apparent I'm more conservative than you with advice to a newbie. Because I don't know him personally or his ability, it's safer in general for a beginner to wire as 8-ohm than 2-ohm in his situation. Turn the gain up until you get distortion, then back it off a little to make sure you only have a clean output. That is good enough for a beginner if he's willing to accept the loss of power. No need to get out the DMM and work the math to make sure you don't blow the sub when wired 2-ohm.

I also listed the pro and con of both options so he can make a more informed decision that works best for him. There's always more than one way to skin these cats. I'm sorry you find that so hard to accept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I'll point out this key point of the OP's post.

It's apparent I'm more conservative than you with advice to a newbie. Because I don't know him personally or his ability, it's safer in general for a beginner to wire as 8-ohm than 2-ohm in his situation. Turn the gain up until you get distortion, then back it off a little to make sure you only have a clean output. That is good enough for a beginner if he's willing to accept the loss of power. No need to get out the DMM and work the math to make sure you don't blow the sub when wired 2-ohm.

I also listed the pro and con of both options so he can make a more informed decision that works best for him. There's always more than one way to skin these cats. I'm sorry you find that so hard to accept.
Conservative as to advising 1/2 info helping people? Lol...That's gonna be very inefficient you twatwaffle.  Do us all a favor and stay off the forum, don't give any more advice. Because your terrible at it. I've been in this audio scene since the 90's. Anyone who tells another person to run an amp at 8 ohms rather than the 2 ohms IT CAN HANDLE and without issues is a complete moron. You don't need to be a newby to understand that nor accept it. It's up to the OP as to how he plans to do it.

I gave a better advice than you did. I took it one step further than you did. Running it and wiring it at 8 ohms is a stupid idea. Amp and sub will both fit that 2 ohm combo just fine....why not make use of it and use  some of the amps power?

No you didn't. Nor do you ever do. You talk **** about everyone even though you are trash. f**k off. Take your ass to Facebook.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.