New deck pontiac g5 2008 not powering up

Participant count
  • Participants list

AdamSaw

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,

Im looking for some assistance regarding my new stereo im trying to install in my 2008 Pontiac G5.

I made all the correct soldering and tube shrink connections needed for my scosche gm3000fa except for a sw1 sw2 and ant cables to the new radio harness as the scosche didnt seem to have those and assumed they werent needed. I also spliced an extra red ignition cable from the new radio harness and scosche harness connection for a rear camera to install after the new radio functions ( turns on ) which is not connected yet. 

I put the negative terminal back on the battery and turned it on and no power. I then search the internet to see if perhaps i needed to connect the antenna cable coming from the new radio to a cable in the stock oem harness so i made a connection to the pink radio on power cable on the oem harness (according to a diagram i got from the internet) to the blue antenna power cable. I reconnected the battery again and turned the car on and nothing again.

I checked fuse 23 audio system and it seems fine. Also the stock radio was working perfectly before i disconnected it.

Im not sure what im missing. Any helpbwould be greatly appreciated. This is my third aftermarket install ever so im still fairly new. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you're using the right kit? Looking up the gm3000fa returned only one result from Wal-Mart. Scoche's own website didn't even have a search result for it.doing a vehicle specific search on their site, it returned this needed for your car.

https://www.scosche.com/lpgm35

Crutchfeild has some other options based on if you have the factory Pioneer setup and/or OnStar. So that's where I'd start looking.

Still havent figured it out but i did test with multimeter. Yellow constant is good and ground is good but nothing from red ignition/accessory.

Looks like the scosche has red coming from chime box and into the stereo but theres no red wire connecting the scosche to the oem harness. I bet thats the problem. Just have to splice to ignition. Or oem harness.

Let's start at the beginning, because I was going back over this thread and I'm thinking you may have some wires connected wrong. When using wire harness adaptors, they follow an aftermarket color code standard that the aftermarket radios also use. You should always splice like colors together. So red from the radio should splice to red on the harness, even if it looks to be coming from the chime box.  I have a G6 that uses a similar system, and my red ignition wire originated at the chime box.

If I understand you right and you spliced the  antenna wire from the radio into the pink wire of the adaptor, that may have been a data cable or a power wire meant to trigger the chime box that then sends power to the radio. From looking at other harnesses for your car, it looks like the pink wire is directly connected between two plugs, meaning you shouldn't mess with it. If you did splice into it, hopefully it didn't fry anything. If your car doesn't have a power antenna, then that wire should have any exposed copper covered and protected, left unused.

So double check that you matched the wires correctly. Also, that Scoche kit came with several harnesses to use based on your vehicle. So double check that you're using the correct harness too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt actually end up splicing the blue to pink. Blue is covered.

The new stereo harness and scosche harness have the same colours and labels so i connected red with red black with black yellow with yellow ect.

Definately using the right harness. Someone else told me that the harness i used probably means i need to use a relay to power the stereo via the ignition harness.

I didnt actually end up splicing the blue to pink. Blue is covered.
Whew! Lol.

When you checked the ignition wire for voltage, where did you probe it? If it was at the radio plug, I'd completely unplug the harness from the radio, chime box, and car, and start checking for continuity along the red wire between the chime box and radio plug. I'd also check every wire between the chime box and the plug that connects to the car harness.

I unplugged the harness from the stereo and checked while the it wad stilled plugged into the oem harness.

Today i took the spliced harness off and checked each wire for continuity. They all passed with 0.1

I also found a wiring diagram which i believe says my cars oem harness doesnt have an accessory wire. Thinking i need to connect the stereo via the large gaged pink wire in my fuse box perhaps.

I also found a wiring diagram which i believe says my cars oem harness doesnt have an accessory wire. Thinking i need to connect the stereo via the large gaged pink wire in my fuse box perhaps.
That does seem to be the case from what I'm seeing now too.  If you go that route, I saw one common wire to splice was into the sunroof circuit at the fuse box if you don't have one. It's wired and powered already, which would give you a dedicated circuit instead of piggy backing. Just make sure to splice after the fuse so the radio is protected.

You may also want to contact Scoche to verify the need to do that, though. According to the instruction sheet you linked earlier, you should be able to use the red wire from the chime box. As I said earlier about my G6, that does work for me (albeit a different brand adaptor), and the OEM radio also switches based on everything from the OEM harness. So I'm thinking the chime box may be defective and either not sensing the data signal that triggers the 12V+ output, or not able to turn that circuit on when receiving the signal. I'd also consider plugging the OEM radio back in just to verify everything still works in the factory harness.

So i went ahead and tested the ignition harness for the thick pink accessory wire. I found it with my test ligjt and made the connection to the stereo accessory wire and reconnwcted the battery and turned the ignition on and whala it works. Thanks guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AdamSaw

CarAudio.com Newbie
AdamSaw
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
AdamSaw