What to add for top sound quality

Participant count
  • Participant list

pir8king1982

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi

I recently purchased a Hyundai I40 and much to my annoyance it had a very ordinary stock speaker setup.

I just had some really good speakers installed, Morel Virtus 602 splits and 602 ultras in the rear but after installation the sound has actually gone a lot quiter and the sound quality isn't as good as I'd hoped for. 

I'm currently using the stock head unit and a factory amp. 

My question is this - What are my options to get the best possible sound out of my speakers? I was either going to keep the stock head unit and install an amp witha built in DSP to clean up the signal quality coming out of the stockhead unit or replace the head unit and possibly a separate amp!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi

I recently purchased a Hyundai I40 and much to my annoyance it had a very ordinary stock speaker setup.

I just had some really good speakers installed, Morel Virtus 602 splits and 602 ultras in the rear but after installation the sound has actually gone a lot quiter and the sound quality isn't as good as I'd hoped for. 

I'm currently using the stock head unit and a factory amp. 

My question is this - What are my options to get the best possible sound out of my speakers? I was either going to keep the stock head unit and install an amp witha built in DSP to clean up the signal quality coming out of the stockhead unit or replace the head unit and possibly a separate amp!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
get rid of the stock head unit and factory amp.  Do a signal processor and at least a 125 rms + amp, ditch the passive crossover and run active network.  You will get absolutely no where with a speaker swap.  Signal Processing, power, acoustical treatments and system design over EVERYTHING else. speaker swap is the last thing you focus on.  I would just get rid of the stock head unit completely and get a pioneer head unit with 4 volt pre-outs and active network capabilities then do a real proper tune on them.  4 Channel amp, channel 1 and 2 to the mids channel 3 and 4 to the tweeters, get as big of an amp power wise as possible, nothing under 100 rms per channel.

Thanks very much for the reply. I should have mentioned that budget is somewhat prohibitive, I think for head unit and amp, I'd be looking at around $2.5k installed, which is too much. That was my logic with installing just an amp with built in dsp. Could you foresee any issues if I were to do that? Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the reply. I should have mentioned that budget is somewhat prohibitive, I think for head unit and amp, I'd be looking at around $2.5k installed, which is too much. That was my logic with installing just an amp with built in dsp. Could you foresee any issues if I were to do that? Thanks again.
amp is 130 dollars, dsp is 150 dollars. Amp with built in DSP are extremely weak and low powered and overpriced for what you get. Do stand alone amps and dsp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.