Stinger voltmeter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Recruit
I wanna install stinger voltmeter directly to the amp. but somebody told me not to use the remote on the amp and use a relay so the remote can trigger the relay? I didn't understand what he meant by relay can anyone explain why i cannot use it directly from there and i need to use a relay?

You don't need a relay for just adding a volt meter remote wire. 

I have had 6 amps and 2 volt meters off the remote wire with no issue,.
ive always added a relay to my volt meters, as i really dont care what the headunit output voltage is, as it may not always be the same as the Battery/amp terminal. I dont know if there is any influence such as capacitance that can give a false reading from what amp actually is seeing. better safe than sorryimo. and for roughly $2 and 15 min, i know its good.  just my .02

The remote wire is just a turn on source...

The volt meter reads voltage from the positive and negative which will be at the amp terminals.

In no way would it read headunit voltage.

The only reason to add a relay for a remote wire is when you are running alot of amps and the headunit remote isn't enough to trigger all the amps to turn on. 

You don't need a relay for a volt meter....

The remote wire is just a turn on source...

The volt meter reads voltage from the positive and negative which will be at the amp terminals.

In no way would it read headunit voltage.

The only reason to add a relay for a remote wire is when you are running alot of amps and the headunit remote isn't enough to trigger all the amps to turn on. 

You don't need a relay for a volt meter....
Not sure i follow.. I assumed you were using the remote terminal, and ground to turn on the voltmeter when i wrote the comment above. Otherwise, you would use Batt and gnd from amp which will keep the meter on until battery is depleted.

How are you sure that the remote voltage coming from the headunit isnt manipulated/delayed?? isnt it easier to just install a relay that to wonder or actually figure out the internal circuitry?

I just looked up a "stinger" volt meter, and seen most have 3 wires! thats the reason i wasnt getting it. I only have 2 wire voltage gauges, hence my diagram in post #2, and the 3 wire has its own turn on.

Sorry Popwarhomie, wasnt trying to be a d*ck,

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked up a "stinger" volt meter, and seen most have 3 wires! thats the reason i wasnt getting it. I only have 2 wire voltage gauges, and the 3 wire has its own turn on.

Sorry Popwarhomie, wasnt trying to be a d*ck,
I have two vm. An SMD analog and SQ digital. Both have a remote turn on.  I was considering getting meters with only a two wire setup and then set up a rocker switch for them, but these meters turned out to be the ones I wanted.  Probably should look up how +5v turn on circuits are setup/isolated to clearly see what is going on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.