Why is my amp clipping at 12.4volts?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TECHBERT

LONDON
AUDIO: Fli 800.4, GM A3702, SPEAKERS: Pioneer TS A6994, Pioneer TS SW2002 D2.

THE Fli 800.4 IS CLIPPING.

Yesterday I attached some new Y SPLITTER RCA wires to my amps from my laptop. The leads are 3.5mm Male Jack Y SPLITTER to Left and Right Female RCA and I attached DAP AUDIO XGA-42 SPLITTERS to Left and Right that splits the Left to 2 channel and Right to 2 channels. Next I attached a Male RCA Y Splitter to Left DAP and a 1 to the Right DAP. This is to split the stereo signal for 2 amplifiers, one is for a bridged subwoofer amp and the other a full range stereo amp.

Another change to my setup was that I removed the fan from the Fli 800.4 full range amp because it was making too much noise and wanted to see if it affected the quality.

My batteries were fully charged the day before and the voltage was reading 12.4 volts and I have not had clipping at that voltage before, the minimum voltage for car audio amps is 12 volts. The setup I have is running 2 amp at home on batteries. The volume was much lower than I have it previously. I put the fan on again and the clipping was present at any volume. The clipping started as soon as I switched on so I do not see how that could cause the problem.

I heard that Y SPLITTER cables do not cause clipping so I am not sure what changes are causing the problem.

The frequencies that are breaking up are specific frequencies in the MID RANGE NOT the BASS, that is the most confusing part being that BASS drains more energy than mid range frequencies. I am thinking CABLES, though these cables are meant for splitting the signal for bass.

ARE THE BATTERIES FAILING?

ARE THE CABLES FAULTY?

WAS IT THE FAN?

ANSMANN 10000mAH batteries.jpg

UGREEN JACK TO RCA Y SPLITTER.jpg

DAP-XGA42 SPLITTER.jpg

IBRA MALE RCA Y SPLITTER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your loosing signal and not clipping? Not sure. Sounds like your a very beginner and it’s hard to help over the internet on this kind of problem. 

Clipping is distortion and hardly can be heard with subwoofers. Voltage being 12.4 doesn’t mean it won’t clip.  My guess is u have a problem with your connections with all your 3.5m jack and rca splitters. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.