Is my processor faulty?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tonksie93

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Dayton Audio 408 processor and i have been having problems with noise and gain adjustment.

When setting my gains using 0db sine waves my headunit outputs 3.7 volts at 3/4 volume and connects to my processor input. With my processor at full volume (66/66) it outputs 3.4 volts with nothing changed on the headunit and no crossovers etc turned on in the processor. My amplifiers then connect to the processors outputs and i am able to set my amplifier gains to the voltage required for maximum output before clipping.

The problem is that there is a static buzz from my speakers which is quite loud. Turning down or muting the headunit does nothing, if i turn down the volume on my DSP then the noise reduces. I played with volume settings on my DSP and at 30/66 i cannot hear a buzz which is great. But now the processor outputs 0.6 volts from the same 3.7 volt input from my headunit. If i then try to adjust my amplifier gains i cannot get a high enough output voltage because of such a small input voltage and as the gain knob maxes out.

Surely the processors output voltage should match the input voltage at some point?

In a nutshell if the processors volume is high enough for me to set the amplifier gains correctly there is a loud buzz. And if the processors volume is turned down to a point where i cannot hear the buzz the processors output voltage is too small.

i have everything on my system set with dayton dsp at 60/66 (any higher and you get distortion)....no distortion detected 35/35 (Alpine Ilx-207)on hu (dd-1), however you cannot feed the dsp any higher than 3-3.5ish volts...so on my HU i had to bring my front rca output levels down to match around 3.5v or so....if that makes any sense to you, try bringing down your input source to the dsp if your HU is capable...if you cannot adjust rca output from HU put a DMM on rca with a 0db tone and adjust HU volume till you get around 3-3.5ish volts...this is now your new max HU volume, keep dsp volume 60/66...then adjust amp gains.....in summary your feeding the dsp to hot of a signal it can handle, i would shoot for a 3v input signal from HU to DSP...see if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice but i think its cooked. Tried different headunit output voltages from 1-3 volts by adjusting the HU volume and tried different DSP volumes but anything higher than 35/66 and you can clearly hear the buzz, no matter what the HU voltage is.

Also when muting seperate channels on the DSP or even the main volume it still outputs a small signal to my amplifiers and the speakers still play.

Headunit is standard BMW idrive and amps are a JL Audio HD600/4 and a Ground Zero GZNA 1.2500DXII

I’ve connected my headunit straight to the amps and i have no issues. Only thing is my headunit outputs a balanced signal. Do you know if the DSP accepts balanced RCA inputs?

pretty sure dsp is unbalanced (which could be the problem).....i'm not familiar with vehicle or HU so im just gonna stop,   good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.