subs amp underpowered?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassDrop69

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys I have a 06 Dodge 2500 megacab with the 5.9l diesel. two optima yellow tops batteries, 0 guage wiring to a kinetic 800 in the back storage compartment in my megacab. from there I have 4 gauge to a digital designs m1d about 2 feet away to two sundown sa12s d4 rev3 wired to 1ohm with 12g wire in a netaudio custom built ported box. It bumps decent but not anywhere close to most sa12 videos ive seen. gain on amp is up at about 7/8. no problems with amp overheating. Is my m1d underpowered for the sa12s? I was looking into running two m1ds linked but then it says m1ds linked is 2ohm so that wouldn't work with my two 4ohm sa12s wired to 1ohm right? ive thought about selling the m1d for a sundown 3000d but would like to try to not loose money selling the m1d if I don't have to..

rms on the m1d is 

1700 at 1ohm 14.4v and 1200 at 1ohm 12v. my voltage meter while running is pretty stable on 14.4v. 

thanks 

sounds like a shitty signal line if you have to have the gain at 7/8   I'd work on the head unit/DSP/LOC.   If its a stock or lower tier head unit, upgrade the sh*t asap to something 4-5 volt preouts.   

Also... so called "custom ported box"  Is it up fire front fire? port side fire? front fire? Need actual specs and details because a box labeled "custom ported box" could be a complete **** show performance wise but looks good on the outside.

sounds like a shitty signal line if you have to have the gain at 7/8   I'd work on the head unit/DSP/LOC.   If its a stock or lower tier head unit, upgrade the sh*t asap to something 4-5 volt preouts.   

Also... so called "custom ported box"  Is it up fire front fire? port side fire? front fire? Need actual specs and details because a box labeled "custom ported box" could be a complete **** show performance wise but looks good on the outside.
hey thanks for the reply yes it is an older headunit. its a pioneer avh4300dvd. equalizer set to flat. no filters on, on the headunit. RCAs are Digital designs Zwire. 

the box is from net audio is made of 3/4 mdf, carpet wrapped, 7.5" mounting depth, 5.25cuft tuned to 34hz, port is front fire 

hey thanks for the reply yes it is an older headunit. its a pioneer avh4300dvd. equalizer set to flat. no filters on, on the headunit. RCAs are Digital designs Zwire. 

the box is from net audio is made of 3/4 mdf, carpet wrapped, 7.5" mounting depth, 5.25cuft tuned to 34hz, port is front fire 
turn your sub level higher and your overall volume should be close to 95% of the head unit's capabilities. thats the only way you'll get the actual 4 volt pre-out capabilities of the head unit.   the max volume is 40, you should be around 38-39  sub level should be a lot higher than zero and your gains should be lower.

btw that generation of head units were when pioneer head units were pretty bad its not a real 4 volt pre-out and the DAC is not good either. You'll see noticeable gains in output and sound quality by getting a new model.

turn your sub level higher and your overall volume should be close to 95% of the head unit's capabilities. thats the only way you'll get the actual 4 volt pre-out capabilities of the head unit.   the max volume is 40, you should be around 38-39  sub level should be a lot higher than zero and your gains should be lower.

btw that generation of head units were when pioneer head units were pretty bad its not a real 4 volt pre-out and the DAC is not good either. You'll see noticeable gains in output and sound quality by getting a new model.
Okay that makes sense as I usually dont go above 20 volume. So I basically have it tuned wrong it sounds like. I will do some adjusting. 

I knew it was an older model but was hoping itd be good. Any recommendations on a new unit? 

just redo your gains first and we talk.
okay so ive turned my gains down, subsonic filter to 25hz lpf to 80hz. turned the sub level up to 6. no bass boost. adjusted the equalizer to what "sounds better". volume up in the 30s then adjusted gain up to about 1/3 (at about 1/2 gain I get clipping) at this it sounds about what it was at with gain up and volume down. 

I also read that a rca to 3.5mm aux and plugged directly into the subs amp could help tell if headunit or rca from headunit has any issues, so I tried that hooked to the amp directly played off my phone. seemed sound quality went up but no difference in loudness  

just redo your gains first and we talk.
got a multimeter out and tested 1.2 ohms at the speaker wires to the amp. 

tested the subs rca cables with them unplugged from the amp and a 50hz tone on volume 40 on the headunit I received 3.3v on the amps side of the cables

I tested the rca/aux cable also from my phone at 100% volume playing 50hz test tone received .4v  

got a multimeter out and tested 1.2 ohms at the speaker wires to the amp. 

tested the subs rca cables with them unplugged from the amp and a 50hz tone on volume 40 on the headunit I received 3.3v on the amps side of the cables

I tested the rca/aux cable also from my phone at 100% volume playing 50hz test tone received .4v  
could just be the box's design is not good for your car.  Usually for trucks its subs forward port to the passenger door is the loudest out of every configuration other than walled or a really tall box with port up sub up.

Here is a pic of the box, one with sundowns is mine the other is one similar in better lighting 

could just be the box's design is not good for your car.  Usually for trucks its subs forward port to the passenger door is the loudest out of every configuration other than walled or a really tall box with port up sub up.

20190506_234454.jpg

dodge_ram_mega_cab_sub_box_06.jpg

Okay so I ended up getting a good deal on a new AVH1400NEX unit, the dvd muiltmedia version. got it in and the system sounds a hell of a lot better. close to what it should sound like now I feel.. Thanks for the input!

Okay so I ended up getting a good deal on a new AVH1400NEX unit, the dvd muiltmedia version. got it in and the system sounds a hell of a lot better. close to what it should sound like now I feel.. Thanks for the input!
lol the importance of a good head unit is always often overlooked. Good internal dacs make all the difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.