2 or 3 way?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Talontsi90

CarAudio.com Exclusive
The tweeters im planning on using play down to 2800hz, will it even benefit me to still use a 3.5" with a 5.25 and 6.5" per side? If i used the 3.5's, what cross over points would you use, 350-3500?. Opinions?

The tweeters im planning on using play down to 2800hz, will it even benefit me to still use a 3.5" with a 5.25 and 6.5" per side? If i used the 3.5's, what cross over points would you use, 350-3500?. Opinions?
I've addressed the crossovers generally in this article: Aiming Component Speakers

I recommend you read it fully and get comfortable with the concepts shown. If it makes sense to you that paves the way to understand why we want 3-way components rather than 2-way.

We want to be able to play the system loudly, well-balanced, reliably for a long time. Yes, even SQ systems get loud when done well. Trying to cross a tweeter low enough to mate ideally to the top end of a 6.5" woofer betrays the goal of loud + reliable for a long time.

The fix is to high pass the tweeter at an appropriate, higher frequency. The consequence is we get a "hole" in the frequency response between the midwoofer and tweeter on the side of the vehicle that places our ears far off axis.

Enter the midrange speaker. This is the solution to the acoustic issue that comes with a relatively large midwoofer paired with a small tweeter. 

Sorry, but that doesnt answer my question, not that its not a nice article. The mids will be 50-2800 and tweeters at 2800+. Ive already had the 3.5's but scored the 5.25/6.5 sets at a price i could not pass up.

Im just wondering if putting the 3.5's in the mix would add or subtract from it, or would they be worth it.

Sorry, but that doesnt answer my question, not that its not a nice article. The mids will be 50-2800 and tweeters at 2800+. Ive already had the 3.5's but scored the 5.25/6.5 sets at a price i could not pass up.

Im just wondering if putting the 3.5's in the mix would add or subtract from it, or would they be worth it.
Ok. If you add speakers in the correct way they will "add" more than "subtract". If you make it a 3-way active speaker setup, with midbass, midrange and a tweeter on each side, that is how we do it best. 

Getting the crossovers and phase correct is very important. Most people aren't prepared to do the work and that's fine.

If you aren't going to do it that way then keep it as a 2-way. Enjoy what you have. Does that help?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Talontsi90

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Talontsi90
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
trumpet