About to purchase my first audio system and have a few questions..

chandlerr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ive got a Honda Civic 97' and am about to buy my first sound system for it (been craving for it for about 6 months and saved money for it)

just a few questions before I invest,

should I go for a 4-channel amp and just front speakers (2-speakers+tweeters+sub+amp)

or a 5-channel amp with both rear and front speakers ? (4-speakers "" + "" + "")

is the extra cost worth it?

and whats the real different between all the top companies that make the components & car stereos/subwoofers/amps ?

for instance, how do I choose between pioneer or hertz or focal...

or if I should get a Rockford amp or an Alpine one?

and what size of a Sub should I be getting (10 vs 12 inches) ?

Well, let's start with your budget. How much do you have to spend on this system? And one thing to note, all companies have multiple tiers of products. Some are better than others when its class vs class, but comes down to how much sound you can get for x amount of dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other factors to consider when buying audio system is if you are chasing SQ or after ground pounding sound that sets off car alarms and wakes up the dead!

4 channel is better as you can get a dedicated monoblock for bass duties.

so two amps here, a four channel , monoblock, remember the rule should 2:1 so if you have a 200watt 4 channel you need at least 400watts or more for a monoblock amp

Once you decide which amp, then you will also need power wire kit,  sound deadening material, and know what size speaker will fit your standard locations as modifications can be costly :uhoh:

Lastly, if you are using your stock radio, then you will need high to low converter or buy an amplifier that has signal sensing , like Pioneer amplifier, but other amps may have that as well.,,,very important or your amps will be wired to ignition and will be on until you take the keys out so it can become annoying as hissing emits from your tweeters :crying:

With subwoofers, it comes down to the amount of space you need to sacrifice in your trunk area, and also if you have a subwoofer, consider investing on a speaker grill so your investment does not get damaged by your girlfriends shopping days, or your tools or golf bags, if you play that kinda sport. :suave:

Let us know how you go mate!

DSC_0793.jpg

Other factors to consider when buying audio system is if you are chasing SQ or after ground pounding sound that sets off car alarms and wakes up the dead!

4 channel is better as you can get a dedicated monoblock for bass duties.

so two amps here, a four channel , monoblock, remember the rule should 2:1 so if you have a 200watt 4 channel you need at least 400watts or more for a monoblock amp

Once you decide which amp, then you will also need power wire kit,  sound deadening material, and know what size speaker will fit your standard locations as modifications can be costly :uhoh:

Lastly, if you are using your stock radio, then you will need high to low converter or buy an amplifier that has signal sensing , like Pioneer amplifier, but other amps may have that as well.,,,very important or your amps will be wired to ignition and will be on until you take the keys out so it can become annoying as hissing emits from your tweeters :crying:

With subwoofers, it comes down to the amount of space you need to sacrifice in your trunk area, and also if you have a subwoofer, consider investing on a speaker grill so your investment does not get damaged by your girlfriends shopping days, or your tools or golf bags, if you play that kinda sport. :suave:

Let us know how you go mate!

View attachment 5149
I want a great SQ as well as a sufficing volume (which I think I would get with probably any nice AMP+SUB+component setup)

my budget is like 1200-1300 bucks (deadening material excluded)

so you're saying I should ditch the 5-channel w/ Deck speakers? and go for a 2.1 setup with only front speakers+tweeters+4.ch amp+sub+HU sys?

Because theres no law?
Of course, but I do want rear speakers and from my very little understanding of the whole subject, adding rear speakers to the standard component+sub setup requires a 5 channel amp, or am I wrong (in my case I dont want to have to deal with hooking up 2 amps [4.ch+2.ch] because it just seems messier and less aesthetic, *Unless someone would tell me it has its benefits performance wise* ?)

Theres no real reason to have rear speakers, when youre at a concert you dont face away from the stage do you? No, so why would you want music coming from the back of your head in a car? The benefits of running components active far outweigh the convenience of using passive crossovers, hence using the 5 channel for fronts+sub.

Theres no real reason to have rear speakers, when youre at a concert you dont face away from the stage do you? No, so why would you want music coming from the back of your head in a car? The benefits of running components active far outweigh the convenience of using passive crossovers, hence using the 5 channel for fronts+sub.
So why do I need a 5 channel instead of a 4channel for only fronts(+tweeters)&sub

Ok so give it to me straight n without much high audio terminology which I probably wouldnt understand (due to me being new in the field) .

Whats the real difference between a 2front+tweeters+sub powered by a 5channel amp sys VS a 2 front+tweeters+2rear+sub powered again, by a 5 channel amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.