2018 Toyota Corolla sound treatment

Participant count
  • Participants list

Quartersawn

CarAudio.com Recruit
After a successful first venture into car audio with the install of my Kenwood DDX9705s head unit, my tinkering gland is tingling. Time to do some sound treatment. My door panels rattled like a children's toy even with the stock head unit. Oddly enough, after playing with the EQ and setting it up a little better the rattles have improved.... Until I wanna jam out.

Goals:

Eliminate plastic rattles

Lower road noise to an acceptable level so I do no HAVE to turn the music up loud to enjoy it on the interstate.

Not Goals:

Competition level sound treatment

I am a lover of good music but am not an audiophile. I do not have the ear for perfect sound and frankly don't want one.

I took the time today to do some recon. Figured out how much space I have to work and did some measuring

Pic below

0427190858.jpg

^^^ Passenger door panel

0427190918.jpg

^^^ Door panel off

Capture+_2019-04-27-09-23-46.png

^^^ My available openings

0427190924.jpg

^^^ Hole in the water barrier right over the woofer

0427190926.jpg

^^^ Inside of the door panel. Unfortunately, there were not many obvious moving pieces where I thought the main rattle was.... It will be a hunt!

I am ordering some deadener today. I will be using Noico. Probably 72sqft to start. That will be more than enough for the doors and trunk then I can see how much I need to order for the floor and possibly roof in phase 2.

So, what questions could you possibly have?
I didn't ask a question. It is a build log.

"Car Audio Build Logs

Post details, pictures and get feedback of your car audio installation, from start to finish. Also get tips and assistance along the way."

I am sure I will have questions at some point though.

cover the metal door interior and also put some on the plastic trim panels too. You'll want some sort of closed cell foam layer to prevent rattles which is caused by surfaces rubbing against eachother which needs decoupling.

I am about to pull my haur out. No one sells Fiberglass ceiling tiles. Apparently they just magically appear. The inly place I can find them is at Lowes in a 16 pack for 100 bucks. I need 3... Might just have to skip that step for my own health. I have literally been to 6 building material contractors today.

Edit/Update: Found some at the 3rd Lowe's I tried. They even gave them to me for free. I could have kissed that dude I was so relieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to pull my haur out. No one sells Fiberglass ceiling tiles. Apparently they just magically appear. The inly place I can find them is at Lowes in a 16 pack for 100 bucks. I need 3... Might just have to skip that step for my own health. I have literally been to 6 building material contractors today.
Starting the first phase today. Deadener and basic door treatment. Pics of the deadening at the end of the day.

Question for now. My speakers are riveted in. I am confident I can take them out... But what do I replace the rivets with? I can't get my hand back there for a screw and nut... I bought some foam and would love to get it back there behing the speaker. Plus, a lot of bare metal is back there asking to be deadened.

0508191046a.jpg

Back doors and back of seats done today.

Anyone know what the black piece is for in the second pic? My guess is just stabilization of the plastic.

0509191556.jpg

0509191556a.jpg0509191734.jpg0509191742.jpg

I have a 2016 corolla im getting ready to start a small build on but the damn truck leaks like a sum ***** when it pours rain so eliminating that is my first to do. after then deadening it and installing the front stage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.