Looking for car gurus' help with boat build

Participant count
  • Participants list

merlinjet

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi folks, new the forum and I'm coming out of the chocks with a few questions for the car experts out there doing 12v builds. I'm upgrading a 2009 232 Limited S with a new sound system. Here's my equipment list:2 x Kicker 6.5" (65 watts RMS)4 x Kicker 8" (2 in the cabin, 2 in tower cans) (150 watts RMS}1 x Kicker 10" Freeair Sub (175 watts RMS)Kenwood KMR-M325BT w/KCA-R55MR remote control2 x Polk D4000.4 or 1x Rockville RXM8BTB 8 Channel Amplifierhttps://www.polkaudio.com/products/pad4000https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rxm8btb/What's the general consensus on this equipment list?How would I configure the amp(s) to the speakers to get the best output?Any input would be welcome. I don't really know my a$$ from third base about audio installation but want to give it a go.

First of all, very few people here will say anything positive about Rockville.

I have nothing against the brand.  I'm actually planning to amp my boat with one and use their tower speakers.

With your power needs I don't think I'd want the RV amp though, simply for lack of power to the 8's.  And in my experience tower speakers need a lot of power.

Two Polk's would match up with the 8's well, and give you all kinds of head room for the 6.5's and sub.

The Rockville will be quite short on power compared to the pair of Polk amps, as mentioned above.  Certainly, having more headroom will likely keep you happy (but you gotta pay to play).  In a boat, you don't want to run out of volume. 

Of course, we're just assuming you want it as loud and clear as we would.  Maybe the Rockville would make you happy,   Your call if you want to try it and risk having to buy different amps and re-wire to accommodate them later.

Thx, guys. I'm off on another path now.  Could I run these speakers with an Exile 5 channel Javelin?  2 x 6.5's on 1 and 2, 4 x 8s in parallel on 3 and 4, sub on 5.

It would work, but just look at the numbers...

Your 6.5's, which don't need a ton of power (65w) would be getting 100.

Your 8's which do need a lot of power would be getting half.

And your sub, which is low power by today's standards would be getting 2.5x what it needs.

I think your best solution would be a big 2 ch that's around 300x2 at 2 ohms (to run the 8's), and a 4 ch that's 50-80w per channel to run the 6.5's and sub.

It would work, but just look at the numbers...

Your 6.5's, which don't need a ton of power (65w) would be getting 100.

Your 8's which do need a lot of power would be getting half.

And your sub, which is low power by today's standards would be getting 2.5x what it needs.

I think your best solution would be a big 2 ch that's around 300x2 at 2 ohms (to run the 8's), and a 4 ch that's 50-80w per channel to run the 6.5's and sub.
So, you don't think I could wire these speakers as depicted in the attached diagram (fifth one down).

If I went with the 4 x 8"s on the 2chan as you suggest, how would I separate the tower 8''\s from the cabin 8's via the zone controller?

View attachment Exile_XM_Amp_wiring_guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do that.  6.5's on the HU?

You'd have 500w on your 175w sub so keep the gain very low on that channel.
Ok, settling in on reality here, I've come up with a new plan:Replace existing Seaworthys with Kicker 6.5"s in the cabin and bow and add the Kicker IB Sub. These would all be powered by a Polk 5000.5 amp. Add 2 x Kicker 8" cans to the tower powered by a Polk 2000.2 amp. All these controlled from an Exile ZLD 3 zone controller with BT receiver. This makes the replacing the HU/remote a waste of time and money. The Kicker 8" replacement I planned for the rear cabin 6.5"s became a real pain trying to match amps to their power demand (150w) and integrate them with the bow 6'5"s as a zone. So, I'm going the KISS route and sticking with 6.5"s for now all around; will add 2 more 6.5"s midship next year, maybe. Now I'll have 3 zones; cabin, tower, sub, all managed from the ZLD. All this comes in right about at my budget...includes some refurb stuff from Polk but I'm OK with that.

Better plan?

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD5K5_DL.PDFhttps://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD2K2_DL.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.