Budget amp for 1 american bass 10' xd

Xj49er

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Xj Jeep cherokee with an aftermarket kenwood HU and 2 pairs of 5.25 pioneer speakers. I tend to do a lot of car camping while traveling so I was leaning towards a powered sub but after reading the forums i decided I'd get the AB 10' sub. What is a decent budget amp for that sub and should I look into a sealed or ported box?  Specs for the sub

10" Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer

RMS: 450 watts 900 Watts Max 

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a ported box sub.  At 1.25 cf 35hz it plots well.

I would spend a lot more time worrying about getting (preferably making) a quality box than what amp you should get.  Anything that doesn't **** that will give you 300-500w rms will work great.

"Car camping"?  Does that involve a lot of sitting?  Engine off?  You need to be aware of the possibility of draining your battery.  At lowish volume a ~400w class D doesn't draw a ton of current, but overnight you're probably in trouble.

Since your sub has D4's you're pretty much going to be limited to mono amps.  Not many on this forum are on board with Rockville, but they consistently put up accurate cea ratings.  I'm putting one in my boat this spring.  There are a few other options that will give you 300-500w rms in the 100-120 range.  Avoid Boss and Planet Audio.

Definitely a ported box sub.  At 1.25 cf 35hz it plots well.

I would spend a lot more time worrying about getting (preferably making) a quality box than what amp you should get.  Anything that doesn't **** that will give you 300-500w rms will work great.

"Car camping"?  Does that involve a lot of sitting?  Engine off?  You need to be aware of the possibility of draining your battery.  At lowish volume a ~400w class D doesn't draw a ton of current, but overnight you're probably in trouble.

Since your sub has D4's you're pretty much going to be limited to mono amps.  Not many on this forum are on board with Rockville, but they consistently put up accurate cea ratings.  I'm putting one in my boat this spring.  There are a few other options that will give you 300-500w rms in the 100-120 range.  Avoid Boss and Planet Audio.
Appreciate it, I'd only be running it while driving.  I only have room for 1 sub since I sleep in the jeep and need the space. Was thinking about purchasing a ported sound ordnance box from crutchfield since im in an apartment and don't have the tools. Was looking at this Orion amp on sale for $70

ORION COBALT CB1400.1M2, MONOCHANNEL AMP 1400 WATTS 2 OHM 2800 WATTS MAX

• RMS Watts @ 4 Ohm Stereo 14.4V : 325
  • RMS Watts @ 2 Ohm Stereo 14.4V : 500
  • Max Music Power Watts : 2000
  • Watts Nominal : 1000

I'm using my bathroom to cut my wood. The toilet and bath tub wall works great as a saw horse. Tile floor is easy cleanup. Block the tub drain hole. Wet/dry vac and mop. 

I'm using a jigsaw for straight cuts and sub cutout and a circular saw for the 45 corner pieces. Dremel for round overs. Noise? F them during daytime hours. 

Orion: Good find.

Sound ordinance: BB10-1V would be ok.

BB10-125V is bigger, but Fb is just right.  Technically should sound a little better and go a little lower, but real world difference probably not significant.

I just got this amp for my soundqubed hds2-10'' dual 4ohm:  

$100  https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-850/

Apparently, it will dyno as the specs read, given it has 14.4v.  Dual 4 ohm wired in parallel (2ohm)> 625rms.

Ported box @ 1.5 cubes,  tuned @ 34hz. (Not easy to find a prefab with those specs!!  Website is the manufacturer): 

$52  https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2395153/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Sub:   $90  https://soundqubed.com/power-band-600-watts/

Thanks to some fine people here on the forum, I returned my Boss amp and learnt a couple things.

I just got this amp for my soundqubed hds2-10'' dual 4ohm:  

$100  https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-850/

Apparently, it will dyno as the specs read, given it has 14.4v.  Dual 4 ohm wired in parallel (2ohm)> 625rms.

Ported box @ 1.5 cubes,  tuned @ 34hz. (Not easy to find a prefab with those specs!!  Website is the manufacturer): 

$52  https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2395153/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Sub:   $90  https://soundqubed.com/power-band-600-watts/

Thanks to some fine people here on the forum, I returned my Boss amp and learnt a couple things.
Out of curiosity I looked at the box you linked- there is no possible way that thing is 1.5cf. Its more like .75-.8 cf net. That chamber is way too small and if they can't get the volume right I highly doubt the tune is what it's claimed to be despite the long labyrinth port. 

there is no possible way that thing is 1.5cf. Its more like .75-.8 cf net. That chamber is way too small and if they can't get the volume right I highly doubt the tune is what it's claimed to be despite the long labyrinth port. 
Agreed ^^^^... that port as built looks like a volume and efficiency killer... 34hz?.. maybe... idk

This is 1.25ft3 net for reference

thbTLD.jpg

Out of curiosity I looked at the box you linked- there is no possible way that thing is 1.5cf. Its more like .75-.8 cf net. That chamber is way too small and if they can't get the volume right I highly doubt the tune is what it's claimed to be despite the long labyrinth port. 
well faaack.  what's a guy to do.  I tried researching the **** out of everything.  called everyone I made purchases from to verify specs, learn about unlisted specs.  why is car audio industry so damn sloppy?   I never once bought a 22'' bike frame to unbox it and find that it's actually an 18''.

And yeah, if what your measuring is the open square behind the sub(?), then I'd agree it looks small.

Well **** another thing I didn't know that I needed to know.

So...  How might it sound compared to what you'd expect from that sub in a 1.5- 34hz enclosure?

And yeah, if what your measuring is the open square behind the sub(?), then I'd agree it looks small.

Well **** another thing I didn't know that I needed to know.

So...  How might it sound compared to what you'd expect from that sub in a 1.5- 34hz enclosure?
It will sound awful and have poor response. 

How good are your wood working skills?

We can help you design a box and cut sheet. All you do is buy the wood, have the lumber yard cut it to your specs and you assemble 6 or 7 pieces with wood glue and screws. Only tools needed are a drill and a jigsaw which are simple tools you can borrow from friends or buy, use and return at a big box retailer with a generous return policy like HD.

It will sound awful and have poor response. 

How good are your wood working skills?

We can help you design a box and cut sheet. All you do is buy the wood, have the lumber yard cut it to your specs and you assemble 6 or 7 pieces with wood glue and screws. Only tools needed are a drill and a jigsaw which are simple tools you can borrow from friends or buy, use and return at a big box retailer with a generous return policy like HD.
I have a good amount of experience, would say my skills are up to par.  but my shoulder is broken/seperated.. so that's why iv'e been looking for a prefab between 1.25-1.5 cubes @ 34-36hz.  I just failed to understand that you must separate port volume from the open space behind the sub : [

Soundqubed has this layout @35hz:

10-Single-Ported.jpg

If you know of another budget minded prefab I'd like to check it out... Otherwise will probably wait until I can build this box.  Thank you for offering to help, much appreciated🙏

you can buy a prefab for a 12 and then make a baffle for a 10 and it'll be the right airspace 😁😁😁
Great idea, and so simple..thank you!  With $55 down the drain on the last box, and no income for another month (injury), the most reasonable choice is to wait, buy a $30 sheet of 3/4 birch and build the box.  That's the plan.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.