Speakers cut out when value too... Low?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Themerkle

CarAudio.com Newbie
I suppose this could very easily belon gin the speaker forum, but I think it's an amp issue. I've searched the forum and did some Google searches for my question but I can only find results for speakers cutting out when the volume is too high. My problem is speakers cutting when the volume goes too low. I'm using a pair of Polk components speakers rated at 100rms each on a Pioneer GM-5500t 2 channel amp rated for 125x2@4. The amp has a gain knob I'm not too familiar with; it doesn't just say high/low. It's got a "normal" in the middle, "6.5v" to the counterclockwise side and "0.2v" to the clockwise direction. If I set the amp to "normal gain" and set the head unit volume to my desired listening level, I get all 4 front speakers playing with very little buzzing/distortion when tested against a tone generator. However... when I turn the volume down on the head unit, at least one speaker will cut out and not play again until the power goes up. Any advice?

The gain is to match the HU output, not for volume. If its set too low, it will not output to the speakers. You need to know what voltage your HU spits out on the RCA's and match the amp with the gain setting.

Right, I'm with you so far. The "normal" setting on the amp gain represents a 2v preamp outout, and the Sony Xav-ax100 matches that 2v preamp output, so I set the gain there to start. Next, I verified that the full range of frequency tones, from 50hz to a little over 1500hz, was all a clear hum and no buzzing. Then, I turned the head unit volume up until I found the lowest frequency where the hum turned to a buzz. That happened around 430hz once the HU was up to about 42 volume. I backed it back down to 41 volume, which I've determined to be my max clean volume. 

Now, here's where I get confused: if I turn the volume DOWN from there to anything under ~30, speakers will start cutting out. If I try to adjust the gain up or down at all, speakers start cutting out. 

OK, speakers are not performing as it should.

I suggest the following;

• Get a test speaker, possibly a pair, and from your amps output going to your car speakers, disconnect  and connect the test speakers and give them a run to see if the issue remains;
  • If it does then it could possibly be your amp; so you may want to give another amp a go from a mate to see if the issue remains;
  • If the problem goes away then it could be your amp.
  • Also check the RCA wires and may want to replace them to see if the problem persists;
  • Also, check your speakers if they are not touching 'vehicle chassis' causing them to short circuit;
  • Also check if your amp is not going into 'protection mode' when the issue occurs;
Let us know how you go mate!

20151128_165627.jpg

RCAs have been checked and are good. Speakers do not touch the chassis. Amp is not going into protect. 

That just leaves the speaker test. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to a test speaker at the moment. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. 

Sony Xav-ax100 HU, Polk Db6502 components, Pioneer GM-5500T 2 channel amp. Speakers are 4 ohm, left channel is wired to left passive crossover and, in turn, to the tweeter and woofer. Same for the right channel to the right x-over. 

The first time it did it, the right channel cut out. Some air duster into the gain potentiometer got it back on. Every time since, it's been the left channel, and the air duster comes to no avail. 

My local installers free - though reluctant- advice was to open it and resolder the potentiometer contacts. 

I got a chance to play around with it a little bit today. I figured out at least one piece of useful information. Currently, the right channel plays, and the left will cut in at high volume, but cut out at low volume. However, if I swap the left and right speaker wires, the issue mirrors itself; the left channel plays but the right channel will only cut in at high volumes and back out at low volume. 

If I'm not mistaken, that illuminates the speakers themselves as the problem. 

Sorry, typo. I meant illiminates* the speakers. 

That said, I've pulled the amp and touched up the solder points. I'll try it again tomorrow. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.