Do you add Receiver + Amplifier wattage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GeoStereo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Total newb question:

If I have a receiver that has a built in amplifier that says it can output 22Watts per channel and I connect an amplifier that is 60watts per channel, would that be a total of 82 watts if those were accurate specs? Or is it just 60 watts? 

Thanks

Never. If you use high side inputs on the amp, it knocks that signal down to a usable level basically eliminating the amplified signal. If you use RCA's, they are line level (not amplification) leaving only the amp output. However, if you use the deck to power some speakers and the amp for a sub, then some competitions require you to add them for rules reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, if you use the deck to power some speakers and the amp for a sub, then some competitions require you to add them for rules reasons.
I'm curious... what Org. are you referring to?

I haven't been a serious competitor for years but 1st I've ever heard of that BS

I'm curious... what Org. are you referring to?

I haven't been a serious competitor for years but 1st I've ever heard of that BS
I was at an IASCA event in Dayton OH back in 97 where they asked him what the stock HU output was and added that to the sub to determine what class he went in. It was a Jetta, so he said something like "16 watts per channel i think" lol.

Wtf?

I was at an IASCA event in Dayton OH back in 97 where they asked him what the stock HU output was and added that to the sub to determine what class he went in. It was a Jetta, so he said something like "16 watts per channel i think" lol.
Wtf?

In the mid-late 90's I competed 0-150 with 3 50 watt RF power series,  and  151-300 with 2 100hc's and 2 50watt monoblocks.

Iasca never counted deck power out here in the 4yrs I competed, of course I haven't used deck power since the mid-80s... those were the days..."Kraco power"...  :wow:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.