Running Taramps below rated load (1 or .5 ohm)

Participant count
  • Participants list

nate0

CarAudio.com Regular
I could not find much info in this forum about it during a quick search. So I wanted to hear from real users if they have any experience with this.  My real focus would be running the 2ohm model Taramps full range monoblocks at 1ohm.  If they do rated power at close to 2ohm I figured someone has to have tried to run them at 1ohm while factoring in impedance rise.  Would this even be beneficial at all?  Should this be avoided?

I have read in a couple places where people have wired the 1ohm models to .5, but maybe they are asking for trouble. Or maybe it is just talk.

Thanks for any replies.

You can burn amps up that can run well at .5 ohm just as easily as ones that just are not capable. I am curious do you understand why running a Taramps rated at a 2ohm load should not be ran at 1ohm?

If you do not know the answer to this either that is fine. I am just wondering if even reactive loads at what they are rated for will not even work.  All good just a question. I am not planning to carbq anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Popwarhomie

So I found another thread where you did not shy someone away from wiring a 2ohm rated Taramps at 1.3ohm. Can you provide any more info on that? Were you ok with it only with a v2 Taramps?

Depends on what model Taramps amp. Why I said 99% of them should not be ran below rated. The Bass line can run at .25 burp and .5 daily. The HD15k can run .5 ohm. 

I've had 10 Taramps amps. From their largest T series to their tiny TS series. 

If you want to run 1 ohm buy the 1 ohm model.  Can you get away with running SOME under 1 ohm after rise? Some can. Some can't. Why risk it.

I'm not sure what post you were talking about since I i reply to almost every question about Taramps amps but i'm guessing he had the HD8000 v2. Which were know to be not as sensitive. People are getting away with running their new MD 8000s at .66 but I still would not recommend it.  I also get alot of messages from people asking where to ship their Taramps amps in for repair after running them under rated ohm load after I tell them not to. 💩

Like stated I am more specifically asking about running the 2ohm model (md series I guess) at around 1ohm.  And honestly I am only asking this out of curiosity.  It would seem more logical to run a 2ohm Taramps at 1ohm to get the power of a 1ohm model at the same resistance depending on how your subs clamp the power and all.  Running those taramps high voltage circuits especially the entry level ones at .5 or around there impedance load is crazy.

EDIT: Actually I realized what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing what you know about them and what you have seen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dissected it opened it up the capsid damn decent so all of transistors they're not top-tier transistors but they're middle of the road and both the output and power supply is capable of over 10.5k

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.