Fuse size

Participant count
  • Participant list

brokeboi77

CarAudio.com Newbie
What size fuse for alt to battery?

360 amp alt at 1800 rpm (can hit 375 amps)

Wire rated at 375 at 20ft. Probably could handle 400 amp at its current length.

i would need a 375 amp fuse or would it blow from the alternator exceeding that? 

You dont fuse for potential power, you fuse for DRAWN amperage. If you only draw 100 amps, you need a fuse slightly bigger.

A 375A fuse will pass 375A basically forever, 400A a long time, 500 probably several minutes.  You get the idea.

Better to under fuse a little than over fuse even a little bit.

A 375A fuse will pass 375A basically forever, 400A a long time, 500 probably several minutes.  You get the idea.

Better to under fuse a little than over fuse even a little bit.
So youre saying that a higher amp fuse will blow faster? How idiotic is that?

Good work.  Lob undeserved personal insults due to your poor reading comprehension skills.

:thumbupw:
The statement being idiotic doesnt mean you are. Talk about comprehension... You still need to clarify your assertion that a higher amperage fuse wouldnt hold as long.

The statement being idiotic doesnt mean you are. Talk about comprehension... You still need to clarify your assertion that a higher amperage fuse wouldnt hold as long.
You're the only one who seems confused.

For the intellectually impaired...

A 375A fuse will pass 375A basically forever.

That same fuse (as no reference to any other fuse was made) will pass 400A for a long time.

That SAME fuse (again, was any other fuse mentioned?) will pass 500A for several minutes. 

Unless you're a dum dum boy you get the idea.

Got it now, little buddy??

:thumbupw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez.

oh and btw amplifier to battery fuses are fused for the amplifier or wire?

cause more than 300 amps per run into my amplifier doesn’t sound good to me. (13k rms - 4 runs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuse protection is always for the wire.

Generally, if there's enough of a current surge to blow the fuse in the wire -- the component that caused it is already toast.

The point of the fuse is to avoid a car fire if the wire gets damaged and touches the chassis ground.

I only used one comma.  Hopefully antique rice driver can understand.

Capture.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.