Need advise on budget 12s that can handle 500 rms eax

rotwiler

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2013 Ram Quad Cab, nothing special, is just a budget setup. I had the Alpine system from factory and 8.4 inch radio. I replaced all speakers with 2ohm(actually are 2.4 ohm) interior speakers with jbls except headliner running off the OEM amp. Sound deadened and closed cell foam on all door panels. I have a 1100 watts rms mono Amp stable to 2ohm. I'm running a Amp pro ch41 to the amp for subwoofer signal. Under rear seat I have a custom homemade fiberglass dual 12 box with total airspace undivided of 1.7cf. Is pretty tall so seats are lifted as high as possible with headrest. I had 2 subs in there and due to basket shape it hit side of lower box, so for quick bass I just put in some $40  400 watts rms pioneer champions to get me by until I can decide on what I need and they actually sound good, but really low bass is not perfect, but does hit hard and sounds good for what it is. So my question: I was thinking of 2 Alpine Type S 12s in box, would fit with a lot of room to spare. Not sure if that's best option and if I do the alpine, should I fill in center of box to have 2 sealed areas that would be a little over. 80cf space for each sub. I know the Aplines are not the most efficient, so is what's keeping me wondering. The pioneers are 95db efficient. Or should I go with 1 1,000 watt rms 12 and use entire 1.7cf.Trying to stay around $250 for 2 or 1 sub. Advice appreciated. I don't know exact cf of box, but comparing to other fiberglass enclosures for same vehicle, it can be anywhere from 1.7-1.9cf. Box is super strong, could handle most subs without issue, depth is around 9 inched but basket size and magnet size may interfere, so some won't work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one looks good, box is a little small for 2, think It wants 2.4 cf for 2, but should still be ok. Do you think I should seperate the sides or leave box open to both subs? 

i'm guessing the 12s are sealed up firing.... not gonna get much deep bass out of that at all especially when its severely undersized.  A proper sealed box is 2 to 2.5 cubic feet after accounting in dispacements AND the space the sub takes up. Shove that box with poly fill and hope for the best.  The sensitivity rating does correspond to how low the sub plays. Lower sensitivity will be less efficient upper frequencies 45-60hz but usually can reproduce lower frequencies better due to lower FS and higher MMS in the TS spec values.  The enclosure has a much larger impact on efficiency and overall bass output and frequency response but you literally have no control over that going with sealed vs a properly done ported.

Yes, sealed up firing, I even thought about a single 12 using entire box space that can handle 1,000 watts. I thought about the alpine type s 12s because they show ideal would be under. 90 cf per sub, but I never had any alpines before. Box could be at best 2cf but I don't know for sure, a person on a forum made it and actually did a fantastic job and is super strong, but I have no idea of airspace. Looks like a tall net audio box and that box is around 2cf so thinking this box is close. 

IMG_20190404_123720.jpg

Yes, sealed up firing, I even thought about a single 12 using entire box space that can handle 1,000 watts. I thought about the alpine type s 12s because they show ideal would be under. 90 cf per sub, but I never had any alpines before. Box could be at best 2cf but I don't know for sure, a person on a forum made it and actually did a fantastic job and is super strong, but I have no idea of airspace. Looks like a tall net audio box and that box is around 2cf so thinking this box is close. 
Type s 12 would **** sealed imo. Roll off too soon they're better ported.  Alpines suggested box volume is way off for the type s 12. Personally wouldn't use it in any sealed box. Their ported suggested box volume is too small too.

Sometimes have to do with what's available. Since I have a quad cab there is barely room behind back seat for even a amplifier. Honestly for what I have it sounds fairly good and tight bass. I just want a little more power handling subs and to hit the really low freq a little better. 

Sometimes have to do with what's available. Since I have a quad cab there is barely room behind back seat for even a amplifier. Honestly for what I have it sounds fairly good and tight bass. I just want a little more power handling subs and to hit the really low freq a little better. 
not going to happen with the box and orientation. In order for it to reproduce low frequency it needs to reflect off a surface.  What you should have done was two 8s in an under the seat ported box side firing port for real results in both loud and low frequency.  An up firing sealed box is just absolutely useless in a truck unless all you listen to is 50hz material which is not deep bass at all. Not ragging on your setup, i'm just letting you know thats how the physics of that particular box design orientation and plays out.   How the subs, port, box design, box placement have a HUGE major effect on your overall bass sound.    

Why this is relevant to you is you'll be spending soo much money changing subs out like underwear and not understanding why each sub doesnt perform the way you want and you will think its the sub's fault but in reality you've set up every sub to fail with that box orientation and design.

Friend of mine has a newer Chevy Quad Cab and is wanting to add subs, told him to find a place that would do this with 2-4 8" or 2 10" subwoofers depending on how much room he has with the subs facing forward like it is in this pic. Told him this is the type of idea he would want to do in a custom box. He lives south of Chicago and said 2 shops tried to tell him "oh just face them up it won't make a difference in sound". He walked right out of both because even he knew it was a waste of time to even try to attempt it.

4 8 inch subwoofers.jpg

I've tried sealed down fire I've tried ported up fire. Finally built a front fire passenger side port (delayed this because of the issue of only having 8.5 inches of height building other boxes etc.) it's night and day difference. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.