Best cheap low power sub?

Participant count
  • Participants list
I don't have experience with Blaupunk but I did get a cheap $35 Belva amp off ebay after my car got broken into and I just needed to get a amplifier that was cheap to hold me over for a few weeks till I could afford to get a new pair pioneer amplifiers and I've used boss audios cheap 4 channel amp and planet audio 2 channel 1000 watt and Crunch 4 channel Amp 1000 watts and they all where less than $60 and worked very well. Aside from the boss amplifer only lasting 7 months for the price they get the job done and better than you'd think. I even had the crunch 4 channel 1000 watt amp powering my four cabin speakers off 2 channels bridged and a Apline E12 bridged off the other 2 channels with a low pass crossover switch to LPF. The biggest thing I look for if going for a cheap amp is the fuse on the amp and what its rated then test my charging system while the car is on and have everything turned on and the hvac on high to see what it's voltage out put is at that point of high use simulation. As long as it it's above 12.3VDC you can keep going. If it's below 12.3 or at 12.3 VDC then you need to fix your charging system somehere. But multiply whatever your multiplier showed your power was times the rating on the fuse and that'll give you a rough idea if your car how many watts it'll push out and then you can avoid getting a cheap amp that clipps and burns your woofers oiut.

Those mean well power supplies are pretty cheap. I bought a 12 volt 30 amp and a 3 prong cord for around 40 dollars. You might be able to find a deal on a plate amplifier. I picked up a refurbished dayton 250 a couple of weeks ago for 80. 

Dayton classic 12 would probably sound good in that box or the sd 315. I've got the classic 8 in my little shop. Sounds really good 

Those mean well power supplies are pretty cheap. I bought a 12 volt 30 amp and a 3 prong cord for around 40 dollars. You might be able to find a deal on a plate amplifier. I picked up a refurbished dayton 250 a couple of weeks ago for 80. 

Dayton classic 12 would probably sound good in that box or the sd 315. I've got the classic 8 in my little shop. Sounds really good 
Yes I am using a plate amp, I ordered 2 of those Parts Express Subs, will make a box from some MDF.

You guys getting thoes used or what?  I got a new crown xls1002 for 230 a while back . Thought I was getting a good anyway  lol.
New?! Heck no...though a crown for 230 new might be a decent deal I guess. I prefer QSC honestly for my own reasons.  I have a friend who's dad has been doing live sound for a long time. He builds a lot of custom components too with cnc machining. He has a bunch of QSC and Samson amps he needed to get rid of since he was moving. Some worked fine, others only one channel worked.  I picked up the Samson since both channels worked and I have a 10" at home I can wire to it at 8ohms.

Last edited by a moderator:
New?! Heck no...though a crown for 230 new might be a decent deal I guess. I prefer QSC honestly for my own reasons.  I have a friend who's dad has been doing live sound for a long time. He builds a lot of custom components too with cnc machining. He has a bunch of QSC and Samson amps he needed to get rid of since he was moving. Some worked fine, others only one channel worked.  I picked up the Samson since both channels worked and I have a 10" at home I can wire to it at 8ohms.
Yeah I figured it had to be used. I just got it to run a sub in the bedroom. Figured I could use it for testing any builds etc too. 

Idk when I was looking for one most of that particular model was 300 or a little more happen to catch a sale though at crutchfield. Normally 339 I think. They were like 50 off but they also had a scratch and dent. Found what might be a hairline scratch on the display but can't see it really unless you're really looking for it even with it on. Works pretty good for what I need anyway 

Yeah I figured it had to be used. I just got it to run a sub in the bedroom. Figured I could use it for testing any builds etc too. 

Idk when I was looking for one most of that particular model was 300 or a little more happen to catch a sale though at crutchfield. Normally 339 I think. They were like 50 off but they also had a scratch and dent. Found what might be a hairline scratch on the display but can't see it really unless you're really looking for it even with it on. Works pretty good for what I need anyway 
Ya good find. It is a tossup when you buy stuff used, because you do not know if it was abused at all or not.  I know the Samson came from a good home and he was trying to almost give them away to make weight for moving.  All the amps that had one channel working he was selling for 20 bucks.  He had some QSC EX800 1250 and 1600

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya good find. It is a tossup when you buy stuff used, because you do not know if it was abused at all or not.  I know the Samson came from a good home and he was trying to almost give them away to make weight for moving.  All the amps that had one channel working he was selling for 20 bucks.  He had some QSC EX800 1250 and 1600
Yeah I hear ya it's a gamble buying used. Sounds like you got an excellent deal no doubt

20 dollars would be hard not to buy a couple of them even though being down a channel. seems like someone could make a good one of them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.