Correct gauge for wiring Subwoofer from Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

ArnoldShortKnickers

CarAudio.com Newbie
I installed a subwoofer + amplifier in my car, but I am unsure if I have the correct gauge wire connected between the amplifier and the subwoofer.

The amplifier outputs 250W RMS (at 2 ohms). It's connected using 8 AWG wire for power and ground.

The subwoofers are two 12" subwoofers pre-wired and pre-installed in an enclosure rated to handle 200-400W at 2 Ohms.

I used 8 AWG wire to connect the amplifier to the subwoofer. Also I didn't have speaker wire that thick so I used the super stiff home wiring cables that were 8 AWG in thickness.

Given the configuration described above, is 8 AWG wire too thick for the amplifier to subwoofer connection? The wiring kit didn't have any 8 AWG cable for subwoofer so I have a feeling that I should've used the thinner wires that it came with but I'm wondering how that would work if the amp is consuming 250W (more like 500W since it's not a class-D amp) and providing that power to the subwoofer, so based on that I figured I should use the same AWG as I did for power/ground.  

What gauge speaker wire should I use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.