Jump to content


Quartersawn

I give in. I'll get a head unit. Wanna help?

Recommended Posts

On 4/15/2019 at 9:36 PM, Jeffdachef said:

If you buy the head unit on crutchfield or sonicelectronix they include the dash kit, wiring harness and the steering wheel adapter for a discount.  The steering wheel adapter is easy to figure out and  you can always call their customer support team to walk you through the installation.  Your amps and wiring are all a lot easier than you expect.  For wiring i'd actually recommend running underneath the car if your corolla doesnt have a convenient fire wall location.  You dont really need a shop to do any of this plus you know exactly whats been done vs a possible shoddy install where they might cut corners especially if they cut the stock harness which is an absolute nightmare.

Didn't wanna start a new thread for a simple question here:

When looking at amps for the car speakers, how many channels do I need? One per speaker? My Rolla has 2 door, 2 back, and 2 tweets in the A post. I see a lot of people recommending a 4 channel amp. Are the tweets driven by the same channel as the woofers in the door?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you run component sets the tweeters and mids will be ran off the front two channels. The passive crossovers connects the mid and tweeter.

 

If you run active crossovers you will have tweeters on channel 1 and 2 and the mids on channel 3 and 4.  This is the better option.  Rear speakers are pretty pointless. If you must have rear speakers just run them off the headunit amp.


2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Popwarhomie said:

If you run component sets the tweeters and mids will be ran off the front two channels. The passive crossovers connects the mid and tweeter.

 

If you run active crossovers you will have tweeters on channel 1 and 2 and the mids on channel 3 and 4.  This is the better option.  Rear speakers are pretty pointless. If you must have rear speakers just run them off the headunit amp.

I certainly like the sound I get with my rear speakers but that is with a completely stock setup. I am installing a new HU tomorrow but am keeping the stock speakers for a bit. It is nice to know I can just get a 4 channel amp and have good results because 6 channel is a huge jump in price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quartersawn said:

I certainly like the sound I get with my rear speakers but that is with a completely stock setup. I am installing a new HU tomorrow but am keeping the stock speakers for a bit. It is nice to know I can just get a 4 channel amp and have good results because 6 channel is a huge jump in price.

The goal is to make it sound like the concert/music is coming from in front of you, not behind you. Rear speakers can complicate that, even though it doesn't seem like you're going full SQ.

Regarding some previous comments of yours I read.. you can outsource just the headunit install to the shop if it's an excessively complicated vehicle and radio wiring harness. Considering the fact that you're a woodworker though, you can easily build the box yourself and run some wires if you simply take your time and think about where to run the wires so they're not torn up due to a brute force method of doing it 

You'll benefit from getting a 9 wire conductor and using it to relocate the speaker wires from behind the headunit to the amps location


I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, wew lad said:

The goal is to make it sound like the concert/music is coming from in front of you, not behind you. Rear speakers can complicate that, even though it doesn't seem like you're going full SQ.

Regarding some previous comments of yours I read.. you can outsource just the headunit install to the shop if it's an excessively complicated vehicle and radio wiring harness. Considering the fact that you're a woodworker though, you can easily build the box yourself and run some wires if you simply take your time and think about where to run the wires so they're not torn up due to a brute force method of doing it 

You'll benefit from getting a 9 wire conductor and using it to relocate the speaker wires from behind the headunit to the amps location

Thanks for the info. I am gonna try ny hand at the HU install tomorrow. I got the Maestro so it looks like it is basically plug and play after a quick PC set up of the unit. We will see. I'll post my progress here whether yall are interested or not lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quartersawn said:

 I am gonna try ny hand at the HU install tomorrow.  I'll post my progress here whether yall are interested or not lol

Tuned-in...

:popcorn:

Good luck

I love to see people actually make the effort... it's refreshing


JVC KD-X350BTS, RE SX-18d4 (interim) 9ft3 36hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ, 250A Ces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Tuned-in...

:popcorn:

Good luck

I love to see people actually make the effort... it's refreshing

They're either afraid, don't wanna take the chance of perhaps messing up or don't have time, or don't have the right tools.

 

Either case, OP....the more you get your hands on, the better you'll know. Sometimes in life we just have to take chances, weather its a good or fail. Basic HU install is one of the easiest things to do in car audio. If you get to a stuck point, let us know, post up a pic and a brief description.


97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

Tuned-in...

:popcorn:

Good luck

I love to see people actually make the effort... it's refreshing

 

55 minutes ago, Boomin_tahoe said:

They're either afraid, don't wanna take the chance of perhaps messing up or don't have time, or don't have the right tools.

 

Either case, OP....the more you get your hands on, the better you'll know. Sometimes in life we just have to take chances, weather its a good or fail. Basic HU install is one of the easiest things to do in car audio. If you get to a stuck point, let us know, post up a pic and a brief description.

Thanks yall. I am a tinkerer and love learning new things. Unfortunately this car audio stuff is exactly the type of rabbit hole I love.

I built guitars for a bit and I thought THAT was a money pit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×