Two SVC 4ohm subwoofers wired in parallel give a load of 3ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

melomy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 SVC 4ohm subwoofers wired in parallel and they show up as a 3ohm load on my multimeter. I'm aiming for a 2ohm load.

I have 1 sub hooked up normally and then plugged in my 2nd sub on the terminals of the 1st sub.

What could be the cause of this?

Bad/cheap DMM. Ambient noise can raise/lower the resistance of the VC quite easily which is why you dont rely on a DMM for measuring them like that. Not sure why youre even using one with only 2 subs and 2 VC's.

put your multi-meter on lowest ohms setting, put the prongs so they touch together, if you get any number reading, subtract that from all your resistance readings from now on and  you'll get your true resistance.   You have resistance on your multimeter prongs.

put your multi-meter on lowest ohms setting, put the prongs so they touch together, if you get any number reading, subtract that from all your resistance readings from now on and  you'll get your true resistance.   You have resistance on your multimeter prongs.
You are right. Can't believe I forgot about that. Gets me about 1.7ohm now which seems correct and prob is a 2ohm load. Thanks!

Theres no way a dual 4ohm parallel load can be anything other than 2ohms.
two single 4 ohm subs parallel will be 2 ohms which would be its manufacturer assigned nominal impedance Znom, however what you measure on the multi-meter will be different because thats DC resistance not nominal resistance.  Theres a lot of subs that have a different range when measuring a voice coil on the multi-meter but in the end its still what the manufacturers assign them to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.