LP filter

Participant count
  • Participant list

Roger Wilson

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a good JVC double din unit with most all the settings. Including control of all 7 of my speakers. I have Kenwood 6.5s and 6x9s in doors and back panel and the factory Tweets up front which actually surprised me. I have a mid priced SSL amp going to all my speakers. I have an Alpine 500 RMS amp. I thought my LP filter was lower , but it was 100 . The way I understand it , the lower the LP goes the more bass only you hear out of the subwoofer. If I am correct about that detail. Then does it make sense for me to turn it much lower to around 75 or even 50

80 is standard.  Why -- most 6.5's can pick up 80+ w/o much difficulty, and most subs sound decent going that high.

If your LPF is much lower -- you better have good quality speakers that can play pretty loud at 60-65, and your sub would have to be able to get low.  A lot of cheap subs in small sealed boxes are done (or fading fast) at ~50hz.

Mess around with it.  See what you like.  See if it matters.  Learn something.

I have a good JVC double din unit with most all the settings. Including control of all 7 of my speakers. I have Kenwood 6.5s and 6x9s in doors and back panel and the factory Tweets up front which actually surprised me. I have a mid priced SSL amp going to all my speakers. I have an Alpine 500 RMS amp. I thought my LP filter was lower , but it was 100 . The way I understand it , the lower the LP goes the more bass only you hear out of the subwoofer. If I am correct about that detail. Then does it make sense for me to turn it much lower to around 75 or even 50
LPF (or in this case referred to as LP) = low pass filter. whatever freq you set it to is where the crossover starts to cut the freq by either 12 or 24 db per octave not letting the frequencies above that number to go to that channel. e.g. you set it to 100, it'll, for all intents and purposes, cut everything 100 hz. It doesnt change anything on the fronts or rears, just the sub. They call it a "low pass" filter, because it lets frequencies below that number to pass. HPF is the same principle but with the opposite end of the freq band. As n2uadio said, play around with it, but going above 100 is not ideal for subwoofers

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.