Replacing factory Speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list

wyatt1121

CarAudio.com Newbie
I love listening to music and usually fairly loud so as a result I only have 1 working factory speaker. I've been reading about which speakers to buy for a good overall sound. Just for some context this is for an older vehicle that's nearing the end of its life. I'm looking to buy a new vehicle and will keep this one as a work vehicle. Having said that I don't want to put a ton of money into a brand new sound system as 2 new speakers will work fine. I originally settled on the Rockford Fosgate P1683 until more research revealed they don't have great bass which is more important to me than the highs. Now I think I've decided on the Pioneer TS-A6880F which has a good overall sound and better bass. My questions are any opinion on the speakers and will they need an amp to get good sound. I replaced the factory head unit a few years ago with a Pioneer DEH-X3800UI. Sorry for the longer posts but I'm not very knowledgeable about car audio. Thanks in advance! 

I love listening to music and usually fairly loud so as a result I only have 1 working factory speaker. I've been reading about which speakers to buy for a good overall sound. Just for some context this is for an older vehicle that's nearing the end of its life. I'm looking to buy a new vehicle and will keep this one as a work vehicle. Having said that I don't want to put a ton of money into a brand new sound system as 2 new speakers will work fine. I originally settled on the Rockford Fosgate P1683 until more research revealed they don't have great bass which is more important to me than the highs. Now I think I've decided on the Pioneer TS-A6880F which has a good overall sound and better bass. My questions are any opinion on the speakers and will they need an amp to get good sound. I replaced the factory head unit a few years ago with a Pioneer DEH-X3800UI. Sorry for the longer posts but I'm not very knowledgeable about car audio. Thanks in advance! 
these aftermarkets are not designed to play full range bass, at best they play midbass only if you do acoustical door treatments, fully amplify them up and do a good tune.  You are better off looking at fullrange low powered paper coned speakers off partsexpress.com if you only plan on using your head unit for power.  Put that money towards a small subwoofer setup instead.

Same year and vehicle that I have and currently am working on. I have the P1683's in mine and they do sound good & clear but no they are not made for bass. You are not going to get a lot of bass out of 6x8's period even with an amp. If you do not want a sub then you might think about 6x8's in the front then a mid bass driver in back with a tweeter to go with it. I am going through some similar stuff right now as the P1683 on my rt side in front is blown so I am trying to figure out what to go with for components for the front and what to go with period in the rear.

I'm really trying to avoid using a sub and amp because the vehicle is old and I don't know how many years it has left. From what I read the Pioneers have better bass than the P1683s which I thought would be good enough fir the situation. I might look into the bass driver in the rear just because I love listening to a lot of different kinds of music and some is rather bass heavy.

Mine has only 68,000 miles on it and is in mint condition, only paid 6,500 otd in Sept 2017 so I am keeping mine for a very long time. I added in a pre-made subwoofer box that fits right into the left side of the rear cargo area. Is it the best box? Nope but since I need the room for grocery runs and what not it does it's job. Here is the amp install we did on mine last May for the front/rear speakers and then the one 10" sub. Since I don't have a 3rd row seat we put it underneath that since otherwise it was wasted space. Plus it worked perfectly for what I wanted to do which was hide them plus it gets good cooling which shocked us as the 1" holes we drilled allow a bunch of air to rush in.

amp install 2003 ford.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has 133k on it and has been through 1 engine rebuild and the body is getting rough. My plan is to install something that will make listening to music more pleasurable as I'm going to get a new vehicle and keep it as a work car. I'm not very knowledgeable about car audio so I don't want to take on a full amp and sub setup. If it was in as good as shape as yours then it would be completely different. Hoping to put a sub in the new truck once I find a good place for it. I was mainly concerned that the aftermarket head unit wouldn't have enough power to power the Pioneer speakers. 

I'm really trying to avoid using a sub and amp because the vehicle is old and I don't know how many years it has left. From what I read the Pioneers have better bass than the P1683s which I thought would be good enough fir the situation. I might look into the bass driver in the rear just because I love listening to a lot of different kinds of music and some is rather bass heavy.
The nice thing about car audio is whatever you put in your vehicle it's not permanently attached.

I'd do what Jeff said to do...

If I had an old beater and didn't want to put any money into it I'd just build a box that rocks. Maybe go with parts express buy out 6.5s 5.95 a speaker a pair of tweeters that could be crossed over at 2.5k or at least 3k to work well with the 6.5s.A good budget sub and a 4 or 5 channel amp. Yeah all the sound would come from the rear but it would sound a lot better than its current state and you wouldn't have to mess with the doors...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.