Need help chosing a SQ woofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikey T

CarAudio.com Recruit
  I'm putting a new system in my daughter's first vehicle, it's a 2001 Toyota 4runner and I wanted to go with a 12" sub that is more SQ than SPL. I've looked at Image Dynamics IDQ series, PSI platform 1, and FI level 1 I think it is, and Rockford Fosgate Punch P3. I'll be using a ported box to whatever specs needed and tuned as required. My price range is about $250 which keeps in my budget for the entire system. I'll be powering it an NVX 1100.5 having 650 rms at 2 ohms to the sub. Please let me know your suggestions and thoughts. I'm up to other brands if better recommend. The goal is to have the musical first since she listens to all types, but would also like it to thump pretty hard for the deeper stuff.

Ok so if I give up some of the SQ for SPL would those other ones I listed still work well. I'm not 100 percent on the SQ side. I just want accurate reproduction that'll have some boom for the lower stuff.

Ok so if I give up some of the SQ for SPL would those other ones I listed still work well. I'm not 100 percent on the SQ side. I just want accurate reproduction that'll have some boom for the lower stuff.
We can work on the entire system plan together if you'd like.

I know you're wanting a 12, but the 10" (only size they offer it in) black hydra subwoofer by alphard audio is fantastic and in your price range. Totally built for sound quality and if it isnt enough output you could come back later and snag a second. 

Arc Audio subwoofer is another contender.  Helix,  Audison, Phoenix Gold RX or Ti series but that could be over your budget.  Focal is another good contender but it has different models from entry to flagship.

Other than that, there is not many subwoofers available today with special focus on SQ, at least not in Australia where I reside.  You are welcome to buy my Boston Pro 12.5LF's but postage would be a killer :fro:

1531999907341.jpg

XBL^2 motors, brutal lows yet accurate and smooth everywhere and doesnt need a lot of power to get loud. Absolutely shits on all the options you listed so far.  If you find some TC sounds 5200 or TC sounds 5400, RE destroyers, or adire brahmas for cheap, get those.   Especially the 5200s.... i saw a pair of 15s do a hair trick on a 4 channel amp bridged stupid efficient woofers and played all music genres really nice, smooth and accurate with punch up top and brutal 25hz and under lows too.  definitely several leagues above what these typical cookie cutter brands can do these days.

https://www.parts-express.com/css-sdx12-xbl2-12-subwoofer--290-3006

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.