Help choosing an amp for my sub.

Participant count
  • Participant list

john1328

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone I am looking to pick the brains of some in the knows. 

I have the sub below and am now looking to buy an amp to go with it but am not sure what to go for. I don't want to over power the sub with a huge amp but at the same time I I don't want an amp that's gonna make it sound crap. I don't want to spend a great deal so I'm not even bothered if it's a used amp. Apart from the sub below it's a standard factory fitted sound system that Saab fit. 

Any suggestions? please help 🤷‍♂️ I have supplied a link below to the sub I have.

cheers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7jCTRbcqKWL/p_023GTB12DE/Blaupunkt-GTb-1200-DE.html

What's your budget? That's going to be the biggest factor in what gets recommended to you. There's a lot of amps out there that will do 250rms @ 4ohms.

Also, don't worry about getting an amp that's rated higher than the RMS of the sub. You can get a larger than necessary amp so you have some headroom, just adjust the gain appropriately and you won't blow the sub. 

Hi mate cheers for the reply I was thinking around about 100 to 150 max. so many amps out there but I don't understand all the jargon. channels, bridging, rms, ohms etc. just hoping someone can tell me what to look out for. in simple terms lol 

its a single 4 ohm so you could def use a amp with some headroom. IF your budget is on the low end I would look at brands like audiopipe 1200, pioneer champion series 8601, soundqubed 850.1, others... what country are you in? ...mate

Ok, I just know I've had bad luck with Blaupunkt speakers in the past so was kinda curious is all, thanks.
As much as I hate saying nice things about cheap Chinese made equipment, the Walmart Blaupunkts are an incredible value. I own all 3 sizes and currently have the 10s hooked up and they sound great. I was testing the 8s last night and sent enough power to move the cone over and inch peak to peak at 21hz and it didn't get the slightest bit hot or bottom out. The post break in specs I measured don't lie, these things punch far above their class and will keep up with subs that approach $100. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.