Need help with crossovers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Shiftazz

So I recently bought coal speakers. It contained 2 mids, 2 tweeters (all 4 60W RMS at 4 ohms) and 2 crossovers. I wanted to connect those to my amp, which gives 90W RMS at 4 ohms to 4 channels. When buying these I thought I could connect each speaker to seperate channel.

However the crossovers have only 2 input wires (1 positive and 1 negative) and 4 output wires (2 for tweeters and 2 for mids). 

Now if I connected the speakers to crossovers wouldnt that give me 2 ohms of impedance? 

Any suggestions on how I should connect it? 

What's a coal speaker? 

No it's still 4 ohm because of the crossover. If you wired them parallel   without the crossover then it would be considered a 2 ohm load but would also blow the tweeters. 

Unless you have a way to actively crossover the speakers you need to wire them with the passive crossover that came with the speakers 

Ah, I see. One more question. How does the power rating work in such case? How much power does each speaker get, since there are two speakers on one channel? 

If you're using a sub just set your high pass to 80 or 100hz. Your speakers should be able to handle the amp if that's what you're worried about. 

Typically your woofers will get more of the amps power than the tweeters when using a passive crossover.

Low frequency is where a lot of the power handling comes into play so if you're not trying to play thoes low frequencies through the mids than they can handle more power 

Ah, I see. One more question. How does the power rating work in such case? How much power does each speaker get, since there are two speakers on one channel? 
The crossover usually has impedance matching circuitry to make the amp only see 4ohms. The problem is, your amp is still spitting out 90w, so i would turn the gain all the way down and depending on the midrange size, set the crossover on your amp for 80-120. 80 if you have 6.5", 100 for 5.25" and 120 for 4" or smaller.

You don't have to turn the gain all the way down. Real world amp won't see a 4 ohm load often so amp won't be spitting out 90 watts. Add to that with how music is recorded you're not going to be spitting 90 watts to your speakers. Set your hp so the woofers don't reach mechanical limitations and you'll be fine...distortion is pretty easy to hear on higher frequencies. That's how you need to set your gain by ear imo. 

I mean go ahead turn your gain all the way down lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.