Strut (?)

Participant count
  • Participants list
Im looking for a reverse hatch/hood strut that will allow a suspended amp rack to lower slowly without adding weight with a linear actuator. Having a hard time finding something suitable.
I buy alot of stuff like that from Rock auto.  But sounds like you want a specific type of trunk or even hood strut. A hood strut would be better since it would support more weight.  I do not understand what the difference a reverse strut would be?  All struts of that type are the same, you just need to fabricate some way to mount it.

I buy alot of stuff like that from Rock auto.  But sounds like you want a specific type of trunk or even hood strut. A hood strut would be better since it would support more weight.  I do not understand what the difference a reverse strut would be?  All struts of that type are the same, you just need to fabricate some way to mount it.
Needs to go down, not up ;) I want it to slow the descent, not prop it open. Im sure i could use something like a screen door spring (the one that keeps it from blowing open past the closers physical limit, but then the chain will rattle).

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to go down, not up ;) I want it to slow the descent, not prop it open.
Then mount it upside down. They all work the same. I know what you mean. But you need to know what type of strut can provide the right amount of resistance to slow it. Like my two trunk struts. When I shut it they cantilever the trunk shut. When it is open the cantilever works with them so the trunks own weight and the their resistance keep it up. You cant just mount the struts alone probably or maybe you can, you can definitely supplement with them

Then mount it upside down. They all work the same.
No, itll still speed up the descent. I need it to drop slowly when opened. But the screen door spring might work if i preload it so when its closed, there is some tension on it, thatll keep it from making noise, but also control the descent when opened.

s-l1600.jpg

Hood struts will work. But you need to figure out the travel length and the weight. That's the trick.
They wont, lol. Im going to mount it UNDER my rear shelf, so it needs to come down, not up. The link nate posted might work, but the spring idea is a LOT cheaper. Ive got a couple months to mull it over, but like to plan a ways out.

I guess i should have specified that the strut/spring will be hidden within the rack and will pull the rack up to the closed position, not push it up and closed.

I was thinking of using hidden hinges, but i like that these will allow it to move forward a bit, not just drop down.

s-l1600a.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Talontsi90

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Talontsi90
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Talontsi90