About have amp nailed down, opinions?

funk_drummer

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking to run one of these drivers in a ported box.

Dayton RSS315HO-44 12" 700W or SSA Demon 12” 550W

Have amps narrowed down to-

Pioneer GM-D9701, RMS 800W x 1 @ 2 ohms- $162

Audio Pipe APMI-1500, RMS 964W x 1 @ 2 ohms- $124 (maybe too much for the SSA?)

NVX VAD 10001, RMS 760W x 1 @ 2 ohms- $153

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

When I first started this journey I was looking at that Infinity amp with the Kappa 1200W driver.  Looks like things are going full circle in a way.  Thanks for the info, I'll look at that one again.  I guess I could have gotten the JBL amp and the Stadium 1224 driver and had the same setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, decent amount of quality bass for mostly rock, the rest a mix of 80's and practically anything else.  I'm going to build the enclosure.  Thinking ported and tuned to the specs of the driver.  The stock system is not bad in the 300, just need to put a little bump in the trunk.

I'd say any of the subs you have mentioned should do well. i'd consider all 4 sq subs anyway. in the right box of course. You could ask for a design if you want to make it a little more simple cut sheet etc. There's a guy on here that does that, sometimes anyway, for a small donation of course...

So basically any combination of drivers and amps I have will get me where I want to go in the right enclosure?  I was going to build a sealed box and put a properly sized flared port in it.  At least that's what I was going to do.  I thought it was that simple, but maybe not.  I'll search for the design guy.  Really appreciate your help.

So basically any combination of drivers and amps I have will get me where I want to go in the right enclosure?  I was going to build a sealed box and put a properly sized flared port in it.  At least that's what I was going to do.  I thought it was that simple, but maybe not.  I'll search for the design guy.  Really appreciate your help.
There's a little more to it than that. Sub and port orientation for your car is important. Port tuned to favor the music you listen to the most. Port area very important. The suggested box volume and tune is just that. It's best to go with what's best for you and your vehicle. Once you pic the sub you could just start a new thread. Looking for a design for ##$$%% sub. 

Driver might come down to the enclosure size.  1.36 is a lot different than 2.5 cuft.  If I can get the same sound from a smaller box, I would prefer that.

Driver might come down to the enclosure size.  1.36 is a lot different than 2.5 cuft.  If I can get the same sound from a smaller box, I would prefer that.
That's why I said suggested is just suggested. That's where someone who knows what they're doing can make suggestions on what you can use. With what you listen to the JBL or infinity might work in a 2.0 for example. Designer would use modeling software to see what would work best with the amount of space you're willing to give up. Also talk to you about goals,loud or SQ,your car,amp you're using, take in consideration  cabin gain,music you listen to etc.I assume that's the Dayton in the suggested 1.36? That's also a high fidelity suggestion which is all good but not taking in consideration of car cabin gain your car music all that **** I just said lol.  Notice that they don't give you the port area or tuning just the air space  and f3? You'll want some bracing also.If you want SQ ported I'd suggest having someone design it for you...Like I said a lot more to it than building a sealed box and sticking a round port in it...

Go with the 10 if space is an issue. 1-1.2cf tuned around 38-40hz with a single 4 inch aeroport should work well. 

Sub back, port back and you will have to use a 90deg elbow to bend the port to fit it in the box. $50 or less in materials to build the box. 

Here's how to make 1.2cf @ 38hz:

19 wide 12 high 16 deep

cut sheets are:

2x 19x16 (top/bottom)

2x 19x10.5 (front/back)

2x 10.5x 14.5 (sides)

1x 17.5x10.5 (2nd baffle layer) 

port: https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-4-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-352 

90deg elbow: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-PVC-90-Degree-Hub-x-Hub-Long-Turn-Elbow-41P0/100119727

You're welcome  :imdama:

I have a NVX 900.5 in my Camaros and it works just fine. Doesn't run hot and is clean. When you go to www.sonicelectronix.com website or NVX website they have the videos of their certified dyno runs and they put out every bit of what they say.  

Go with the 10 if space is an issue. 1-1.2cf tuned around 38-40hz with a single 4 inch aeroport should work well. 

Sub back, port back and you will have to use a 90deg elbow to bend the port to fit it in the box. $50 or less in materials to build the box. 

Here's how to make 1.2cf @ 38hz:

19 wide 12 high 16 deep

cut sheets are:

2x 19x16 (top/bottom)

2x 19x10.5 (front/back)

2x 10.5x 14.5 (sides)

1x 17.5x10.5 (2nd baffle layer) 

port: https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-4-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-352 

90deg elbow: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-PVC-90-Degree-Hub-x-Hub-Long-Turn-Elbow-41P0/100119727

You're welcome  :imdama:
You’ve been pushing a 10 for me and I have to give it heavy consideration. I’m sure you know more about it than me. When I go around to local shops I’ve heard some 10 recommendations as well. I never know if they are trying to make a sale or if they mean it. When they play songs I like I’m not blown away. I think it’s because they said they are running too low of power. Even a W7 10 was not great. There are two songs, if you think a 10 will kill it for those, that works for me. The opening to Hotel California with the long bass notes. Second is Nightmare by Avenge Sevenfold. Two different songs so kind of a challenge. Looking for one sub to give me the business on both songs. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.