New install subs shutting off.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Protege5

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sorry I’ve done a lot of my own installs nothing fancy but I know enough to get buy. I have 2 subs 12” in a band pass box run by a 2/1 580 watt amp. I’ve never had a box before with 2 subs and only 1 speaker input in the back. The stero sounds fine but out of nowhere the subs just stop and the green light on the amp with either remain green. Sometimes turns red and sometimes goes off completely . Sometimes it’s days with no issues sometimes it’s 4 times a day. There some noise in the subs as well  ( hum pop). The subs are 4 ohms and since I only have positive and one negative speaker posts in tbe back of the box I have the amp bridged which i think is wrong. Here are some pics. Finally my ground may be an issues it’s grojnded to a metal plate no paint which is mounted to the body which has paint . Any tips? 

Here are some pics 

https://imgur.com/a/kDMdhfJ

So basically what I’m saying is shouldn’t I just run a positive and a negative speaker wire from each speaker and put it on each channel of the amp? Unless this box is already internally wired to run bridged? 

Based on below it seems like I have it wired correctly so maybe it’s a bad ground ? 

From the subwoofer box  

A single pair of spring terminals on the back of the enclosure supplies the signal to both drivers. The woofers are wired to present a 4Ω load. The terminal will accept pin connectors, single banana plugs, or bare wire up to 12 gauge.

From the amp box:

• RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 145 watts x 2 chan.
  • Bridged, 4 ohms: 290 watts x 1 chan.

[*]Max power output: 580 watts x 1 chan.

[*]MOSFET power supply

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first post you said "the subs are 4 ohms" and in the second "The woofers are wired to present a 4Ωload.".

So how much impedance does each sobwoofer have? 

If it's 4 ohms for each, you cant possibly connect them to have 4 in total. 

In the first post you said "the subs are 4 ohms" and in the second "The woofers are wired to present a 4Ωload.".

So how much impedance does each sobwoofer have? 

If it's 4 ohms for each, you cant possibly connect them to have 4 in total. 
The picture clearly shows "4ohms nominal"...

OP, im betting the amp is simply getting hot if it happens randomly.

So basically what I’m saying is shouldn’t I just run a positive and a negative speaker wire from each speaker and put it on each channel of the amp? Unless this box is already internally wired to run bridged? 

Based on below it seems like I have it wired correctly so maybe it’s a bad ground ? 

From the subwoofer box  

A single pair of spring terminals on the back of the enclosure supplies the signal to both drivers. The woofers are wired to present a 4Ω load. The terminal will accept pin connectors, single banana plugs, or bare wire up to 12 gauge.

From the amp box:

• RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 145 watts x 2 chan.
  • Bridged, 4 ohms: 290 watts x 1 chan.

[*]Max power output: 580 watts x 1 chan.

[*]MOSFET power supply
I pulled up your subs based on the BP1204 printed on the terminal, which leads me to assume you have the Dual brand 12's in a bandpass enclosure. To answer your question, the box is already wired to be run bridged since the 2 subwoofers only have 1 terminal on the enclosure. You could run wires to each sub and hook up one on each channel but that wouldn't make much difference. It would still be the same load as being bridged.

Have you checked the voltage at the amp with heavy bass playing? It almost sounds like it's going into protect from low voltage. I would start with the ground wire. Instead of bolting it through that plate and into the body, I'd sand off some paint and bolt it directly to the body. I've seen amps that play fine at lower volumes but went into protect at higher volume levels....upgraded & relocated the ground wire and then everything worked fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.